[Capdist-announce] Press Release - Waiting for Sinterklass - the Search for Santa

Robert Fishel bobfishel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 15:43:52 EST 2008

For more information please contact  Ric Chesser at: art4kids at nycap.rr.com

**

*For Immediate Release  --  Steamer No.10 Theatre --  500 Western - Albany
12203*

November 21, 2008

* *

*PLEASE NOTE: TITLE OF THE SHOW HAS CHANGED*

*Steamer No.10 Theatre*

*Performances of:*

*Waiting for Sinterklaas- the Search for Santa*

Please list under *Theatre*

*formerly known as Sinterklaas – Banned in Beverwyck*

* *

*Dates: *            *At Steamer No.10 Theatre – 500 Western Ave – Albany -
12203*

                        December 6, 7, 13, 14 @ 3:pm

                        December 7, 14 @ 11:am

                        *At The Arts Center – 320 Broadway – Saratoga –
12866*

                        December 20 @ 3:pm – December 21 @ 11:am

*Location:*        See above

*General Admission:*   $12 --  Students/Seniors/Adults – advance purchase
discount

*An original script that pays homage to our region's Dutch history.*

* *

*Waiting for Sinterklaas – the Search for Santa***

Join us for a heartwarming tale of traditions that find their own way to be
celebrated – particularly when the tradition teaches children about good
behavior and its reward.

A child and grandmother find themselves awaiting Santa's arrival together
and begin sharing their recollections of Santa in his various guises.  This
includes their own tradition of Sinterklaas brought over by their Dutch
ancestors when they settled the Hudson Valley.

On December 6th, the Feast Day of St. Nicholas, Sinterklass, an old man with
a white beard, red hat and cape visits each home and carries the Book of
Children.  In it a child's deeds, both good and bad, have been recorded over
the course of the year, and good children are rewarded with presents.

The show explores the traditions and mythology of Santa Clause from his
origins as St. Nicholas the 4th century Bishop of Myra in what is now
Turkey, through the European traditions of Kris Kringle, Father Christmas,
Pere Noel, and Sinterklaas.  Finally we visit the American traditions of
Moore's 1822 poem "A Visit From St. Nicholas" – Twas the Night before
Christmas and Thomas Nast's sketches that gave us our present day Santa.

The show is performed by the ensemble cast of Rebecca Boswell, Matthew
MacArevy, Robert Rice, and Agnes Kapusta Skiff.

- 30 -