[Capdist-announce] Bridge Street Theatre Awarded $25, 000 for 2024 by the New York State Council on the Arts

Steven Patterson kaliyuga.steven at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 17:08:35 EST 2023

*A Grateful Bridge Street Theatre Awarded $25,000 for 2024 by the New York
State Council on the Arts*

Catskill, NY – Catskill’s Bridge Street Theatre announced today a grant
award totaling $25,000 from the New York State Council on the Arts
(NYSCA) to support its work in the nonprofit arts and culture sector.
Through New York State’s continued investment in arts and culture, NYSCA
has awarded over $80 million since Spring 2023 to over 1,500 artists and
organizations across the state.

“As so many live theatres struggle to surmount the challenges of the
pandemic years, this vote of confidence in the work we’re doing in our
community and on our stages definitely gives our spirits a boost,” says
John Sowle, Bridge Street Theatre’s Artistic and Managing Director. “This
grant will help make so many things possible for us and our audiences in
the coming year.”

During 2023, Bridge Street Theatre presented five major stage productions
(the world premiere of Eric Hissom’s “Rude Mechanics”, Hannah Moscovitch’s
“East of Berlin”, Walton Beacham’s “I Am Barbie”, Tennessee Williams’ “The
Glass Menagerie”, and Lanford Wilson’s “Sympathetic Magic”), a four-weekend
solo performance festival in March, and its annual all-student summer
musical, “Monty Python’s Spamalot”, along with numerous other arts and
community events.

The theatre was also awarded “Outstanding Production of a Play” honors (in
a tie with Shakespeare & Company’s production of August Wilson’s “Fences”)
by the Berkshire Theatre Critics Association for “East of Berlin”, was
named “Not-For-Profit Business of the Year” by the Greene County Chamber of
Commerce, was First Runner up for a Chronogrammie in the “Live Theater
Venue” category, and, for the fifth consecutive year, won “Best
Theatre/Performance Space” at the annual Best of Greene County Awards.

Governor Kathy Hochul said, “Research confirms what we’ve always known here
in New York: arts and culture are a powerhouse, with a staggering return on
investment for our economy and our communities. Nonprofit arts and culture
organizations and their audiences generated $151.7 billion in economic
activity nationwide in 2022 and New York’s unparalleled arts and culture
sector is leading the way to benefit our residents, our students and our
visitors every day. I commend these grantees on their achievements and look
forward to their contributions in the coming year."

NYSCA Chair Katherine Nicholls added, “Thanks to the unwavering support of
Governor Hochul and our Legislature, NYSCA is so proud to support the work
of organizations and artists from all across New York. Spanning the entire
breadth of the arts and culture sector – from world-renowned performers to
after-school programs, from long established museums to community arts
collectives – these organizations and artists together are a powerful
driver of health, tourism, economy and education for our residents and
visitors. On behalf of Council and staff, congratulations to Bridge Street
Theatre and thank you for your perseverance, your creativity and your
tireless service to New York State.”

*About the New York State Council on the Arts*The mission of the New York
State Council on the Arts is to foster and advance the full breadth of New
York State’s arts, culture, and creativity for all. To support the ongoing
recovery of the arts across New York State, the Council on the Arts will
award $127 million in FY 2024. The Council on the Arts further advances New
York's creative culture by convening leaders in the field and providing
organizational and professional development opportunities and informational
resources. Created by Governor Nelson
Rockefeller in 1960 and continued with the support of Governor Kathy Hochul
and the New York State Legislature, the Council is an agency that is part
of the Executive Branch. For more information on NYSCA, please visit
www.arts.ny.gov, and follow NYSCA's Facebook page, Twitter @NYSCArts and
Instagram @NYSCouncilontheArts

ReplyReply allForward