[Capdist-announce] Bridge Street Theatre Takes Top Honor at Annual “Berkie” Awards

Steven Patterson kaliyuga.steven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 12:36:55 EST 2023

For the second year in a row, Catskill’s Bridge Street Theatre has shared
top honors for “Outstanding Production of a Play” at the annual Berkshire
Theatre Critics Association (BTCA) “Berkie” Awards. BST was honored for its
production of Hannah Moscovitch’s “East of Berlin”, tying for the award
with Shakespeare & Company’s production of August Wilson’s “Fences”. At
last year’s ceremony, BST’s production of Eugene O’Neill’s “Long Day’s
Journey Into Night” also tied for “Outstanding Production of a Play” with
Barrington Stage Company’s “Waiting for Godot”!

“This feels like it’s becoming a weird sort of pattern,” says BST Artistic
Director John Sowle. “During the first year we became eligible to be
considered for the Award, Steven Patterson (for ‘Miss Gulch Returns!’) and
Harriet Harris (for ‘Eleanor’) wound up in a tie in the ‘Outstanding Solo
Performance’ category. The only time so far we’ve taken a category without
a tie was when Roxanne Fay won for her performance as Mary Tyrone in our
‘Long Day’s Journey’. To say we were pleasantly surprised by this win is a
vast understatement. ‘Outstanding Production of a Play’ two years in a row,
especially when our scrappy little space is in competition with some of the
region’s real heavy hitters? Unbelievable.”

‘East of Berlin’ was a Nazi euphemism for the deportation of Jews to the
death camps. In Moscovitch’s play, the son of an escaped Nazi war criminal
(still alive and living in Paraguay) and the American-born daughter of an
Auschwitz survivor meet and fall in love in Berlin, and what they choose to
reveal to and conceal from one another brings the past crashing down on
them. Bridge Street Theatre’s award-winning regional premiere was directed
by Margo Whitcomb, with Kara Arena, Orlando Grant, and JD Scalzo in the
cast. Set and lighting design were by John Sowle, with costumes by Michelle
Rogers, sound design by Carmen Borgia, and Artwork by Dina Bursztyn.
Production Stage Manager was Kiara Vedovino.

The Berkshire Theatre Critics Association was founded in August 2016 by
theater critic Larry Murray of berkshireonstage.com. The purpose of the
BTCA and the Berkshire Theatre Awards is to promote and celebrate the
quality and diversity of theater in the region. For more a complete list of
this year’s winners, visit berkshireonstage.blog. And for more information
about Bridge Street Theatre, visit bridgest.org.