[Capdist-auditions] Seeking Actors/Crew for MFA Thesis Project

Julie Casper Roth julie.casper.roth at gmail.com
Tue May 8 22:17:20 EDT 2012

Hello,

I'm looking to meet/audition interested people beginning May 19th. My goal
is to shoot everything by the end of June.  Because this is a graduate
student project, there will be no pay. Food will be provided.

I've cut and pasted details below:

*THE VEIL
                                    *

Julie Casper Roth

*The Veil *is a short experimental video that combines documentary-style
interviews with fictional narrative.  The finished video will be
compromised of vignettes and interview snippets related to gender and
sexual identity as they, in turn, relate to the experience of being Mormon
(a member of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or LDS Church).
This video is being produced, in part, for fulfillment of my Master of Fine
Arts degree at the University of Albany.

This is a no-budget project.  Volunteers/crew/actors will receive credit
for their work on the film and food on shooting days.  I am also willing to
barter services.

*Crew: * Looking for those who can help with shooting, lighting, and
sound.  I have a Canon 7D and some lighting and sound equipment.

*Additional: *Looking for someone who can provide a sparse score for the
film.

*Actors: *I’ve listed the acting roles available with each vignette
description.

*Locations: *I am looking to secure the following locations: 1830s/40s era
farmhouse. Rural, wooded property. All locations/settings listed with
vignettes.

*Shooting dates: *I would like to begin shooting in late May and finish by
mid June. I’m flexible with days.

*About the artist: *I have a background in experimental video, documentary,
and broadcast.  My work has been screened at festivals and galleries
throughout the country and internationally.  I’m a 2008 recipient of the
NYFA Fellowship in Video and a 2012 College Art Association Fellow (one of
5 in the country). In addition to completing my MFA, I am an adjunct
instructor in Documentary Studies at the University of Albany. Look here
for more information: www.juliecasperroth.com

*Vignettes*

1.    1827 – A precocious tomboy farm girl, Harriett, wrote a fantastic
story to challenge the religious beliefs of her family.  Her family finds
the story and disapproves.  They tell her to bury the book in the woods.

o      Location: Farmhouse and woods.

o      Actors: Harriett – late teens/early 20s. Father – 40s.

2.    1827 – Joseph is a treasure hunter who spends many hours combing the
woods around his home for money or treasure. Joseph and a friend discuss
the possible goldmine of getting a religious following. Later, Joseph
stumbles upon a teenaged girl burying a book.

o      Location: Farmhouse or barn and woods.

o      Actors: Joseph – early 20s. Male friend – early 20s. Harriett (see
above)

3.    1840 – A husband and wife argue about the Mormon Church.  The husband
has joined the religion but the wife has not. The husband introduces the
idea of baptizing the dead to church leaders to ensure that his wife will
one day be a Mormon.

o      Location: Farmhouse and wooded path

o      Actors: Mary – late 30s/early 40s. Orson – late 30s/early 40s.

4.    Mid-1960s.  Two Brigham Young University women relay to each other
that they are against the Vietnam War (making them a minority on campus).
One mentions that men can have sacred symbols sewn onto army regulation
undergarments to stand in for the church’s sacred garments. The women joke
and then sew sacred symbols into a bra and underwear. One friend urges the
other to try the ‘sacred garments’ on to see if they will protect her.  She
leaves and puts on the bra. The two women giggle, fall into an awkward
silence and then kiss.

o      Location: Faux 1960s apartment or dorm room.

o      Actors: Lisa and Deborah 19-Early 20s.

5.    2005 - A young man struggles and prays to understand his gender
identity.  He asks repeatedly – in prayer – to receive a sign that he can
transition in to being a woman.  A short time later he goes to the Mormon
temple for the first time to receive his endowments.  Part of the ceremony
includes receiving a secret name.  The young man accidentally receives a
woman’s name.  He takes this as a sign.

o      Location: Room with floor-length white curtains.

o      Actors: Glen, early 20s. Guy, any age 30-60.

6.    2008 - A Mormon woman pays her 10% tithe to the church on a regular
basis.  She learns that some of this morning is being funneled in to
Proposition 8 (the California ban on same-sex marriages).  Her son is gay
and is in a devoted relationship.  Instead of paying her tithing, she puts
money in to efforts to fight Prop 8. This comes up during an interview with
a church leader.

o      Location: Office

o      Actors: Susan, 50s and Brother Lee, 40s.

7.    2012 - A Mormon woman is an unhappy, OCD church housewife.  Pills and
household tasks are not making her happy.  She is asked to volunteer more
time to the church, which she does reluctantly. She is introduced to a
collection of repressed history that must be destroyed.  Over the course of
her work, she discovers a film reel from a group called The Byrd Society –
a reel that professes the history of a secret underground group of gay and
lesbian Mormons.  She realizes this is extremely rare and does not discard
of it.

o      Location: Storage room

o      Actor: Liz, 30s