[Capdist-announce] I wish some local theater company would do something DIFFERENT for once!

Kiss Of The Spider Woman kiss_of_the_spider_woman_at_sloc at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 00:56:38 EDT 2007

"I wish some local theater company would do something DIFFERENT for once."
"I am so tired of the same old war horse musicals with a cast of thousands trotted out onstage yet again."
" I wish some local company would take a risk on something provocative, something daring."
"I want to go see something I haven't seen before,  something that makes you think."

Sound familiar?

SLOC Musical Theater has listened to your input and taken a bold step by opening their season with a show that will appeal to your desires for...
...something different.
...something provocative
...something that entertains, yet sends you home thinking and wanting to make a difference in this world.

Now we need YOU to do your part!  Please join us September 28th- 30th and October 4th to the 7thand “Come and find me…hear my song...let me hold you here where you belong” as SLOC Musical Theater presents Kiss of the Spider Woman.  (To reserve tickets, please go to the web first at www.SLOCtheater.org, or please call 1-877-350-7378.).

Kiss of The Spider Woman, is ready to deliver a night of theater that will involve you, move you and cause you to think..  It will be an evening of theater that is guaranteed to be unlike any you’ve had in months. Adapted from Manual Puig’s critically acclaimed novel, Kiss of the Spider Woman presents a unique love story set within the conflicting dualities of love and brutality. The show is a daring and provocative offering that is not quite your run-of-the mill workhorse revival. “I have to admit,” says Director Michael Mensching, “I had never read the novel Kiss of The Spider Woman, even though I am a Spanish teacher, and it had never occurred to me that I would one day be directing a musical version of the story— even though I had listened to the Kander and Ebb (creators of Cabaret, Chicago, Curtains) soundtrack for a long time— I just didn’t think any local company at the community theater level would ever have the courage to produce
 this."  In a recent interview, John Kander stated he was surprised a community theater would tackle this work-- it is rarely attempted due to the intense nature of the work.

Besides Director Mensching, who opened SLOC’s last season with the sold out production of The Full Monty, the production is brought to you by the same creative team that helped make Songs for a New World, Jane Eyre: The Musical and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum  place among the “top ten theater experiences” on many of the local media year end lists.  It is always a challenge to produce a show with complex themes and make it an evening that can be involving and absorbing.  Certainly, a cast that includes some of the best local talent helps— Heather D’Arcy, Shawn Hawn and Bill Harrison lead the production. They are joined by Musical Director Valerie A. Lord and Choreographer  Melissa Lacijan in crafting a web that pulls you in.  They help weave a story that is relevant, especially today, in other parts of the world.  Somewhere in Latin America, cellmates Molina and Valentin share nothing in common, except the overwhelming need to
 escape the daily degradation of prison life.  They find this refuge in the telling of a stylized version of Molina’s favorite grade B movie staring an alluring temptress, the Spiderwoman.  Over the course of their confinement, the two come to understand and respect one another. Upon Molina’s release from prison, he agrees to help Valentine’s political cause by passing information to his fellow revolutionaries. These actions result in Molina’s re-imprisonment and final reunion with The Spiderwoman.

The movies featuring the Spider Woman are among the high points of the production.  “We were looking for a challenge, and the movie filming and presentation certainly provided that!” said Mensching.  “But, I could not imagine doing this story without really seeing what the movies looked like.  When you see Heather D'Arcy as the Spider Woman, you understand why Molina fell in love with her, her danger, her hypnotic beauty”  The movies help weave the role of fantasy and illusion into this production— but make no mistake, the themes in this are all too real. “I wanted the audience to be aware that events similar to those depicted in this play really did and do happen in other countries.  The play may be fictional, but there are hundreds of stories just like it that are real and hundreds people that "disappear" without a trace.  Hopefully, people will come to feel for these characters in this show, and it will help them think about the real
 people somewhere in this world who are going through the same things.”

To help the audience learn more on how they can make a difference, SLOC has invited Amnesty International to host a table at the intermission, with information for review, and will feature a video.  “I urge you to become more aware of what happens beyond our community, in the dark part of our world that is only too real to many people. This is not an issue that is about political right or left, but about what is right and what is wrong about how we treat each other.  We are only as good as we are in how we treat those less fortunate, those different, those with opposing ideas and values from us, “ says Mensching.

We listened to what you wanted to see, and have the courage to open the season  with a challenging yet fulfilling production.  Why don't you take the step right now and join us?  We're taking a chance on something different, like you asked us to, don't let us down-- we can only have us much courage as our ticket sales allow us!  The entire production team looks forward to presenting this hauntingly beautiful show. Performances for Kiss of The Spiderwoman run September 28th- 30th and October 4th to the 7th.   Buy a ticket today, go to the web first at www.SLOCtheater.org, or please call (1-877-350-7378.).

VIVA WHATEVER IT IS!