[Capdist-announce] MopCo UNDERGROUND at Proctors EVERY FRIDAY

The Mop & Bucket Co. Publicity PR at MopCo.org
Fri Apr 16 11:46:32 EDT 2010

MOPCO UNDERGROUND at Proctors:

New Performance Space - Every Friday

       MOPCO UNDERGROUND at Proctors (432 State St, Schenectady)
       Every Friday (thru April & May) at 8 p.m.
       Tickets: $14 Adults / $6 sts & srs
       For reservations call Proctors Box Office: 346-6204 or
       www.proctors.org/places/underground.

MopCo UNDERGROUND at PROCTORS goes live tonight, Friday, April 16, with
MOPCO launching the new performance space at 432 State Street address.  New
Fans and old can expect MopCo UNDERGROUND AT PROCTORS at 8pm every Friday
(unless otherwise noted at www.mopco.org).  Fun-friendly priced at $14
Adults / $6 students and seniors.

"The casual intimacy of Proctors new, underground space seems tailor made
for MopCo's controlled chaos and spirited interaction with audiences," said
Proctors CEO Philip Morris.  Visitors to Proctors annual wine festival or
Sunday Greenmarket already are familiar with the Underground location, says
Mr. Morris, and are sure to be delighted to see its evolution over time into
a cozy and expanded-use venue.

The peripatetic CEO also notes that MopCo's educational mission - the improv
company performs, teaches and trains at venues around the region and across
the nation - offers a natural synergy with Proctors own expanding education
initiatives, such as its Theatre Technology course that it enables young
people to learn by working alongside professionals in all aspects of theatre
-- from design interpretation, stage lighting and sound, aesthetics, tools,
equipment and more.

       MOPCO UNDERGROUND at Proctors (432 State St, Schenectady)
       Every Friday (thru April & May) at 8 p.m.
       Tickets: $14 Adults / $6 sts & srs
       For reservations call Proctors Box Office: 346-6204 or
       www.proctors.org/places/underground.

About MopCo

According to MopCo's Artistic Director Michael Burns,  "we believe that the
best theatre evolves from an active collaboration between performer and
audience. We constantly expand, refine, and redefine our own concept of what
improvisation in performance is. This is because the company acts on the
assumption that that which is unchanging is probably dead, and will
therefore begin to stink soon, if it doesn't already."

The company uses improvisation as a direct form of entertainment in
performance; as a developmental tool that helps individuals in their own
personal development, and as an interactive training tool for businesses and
nonprofits.  MopCo performs, teaches, and trains at venues around the
region, as well as nationally and internationally.

But to those who ask what a MopCo event is really like, Training Director
Kat Koppett replies, "the audience help us create epic stories on the spot,
based on their characters, plot twists, favorite styles, and pet peeves.
David Shepherd, founder of Chicago's Compass Theatre and the inventor of The
Improv Olympic, said: "The thing that stands out most vividly in my mind is
the way members of MopCo lit up, one after another, during performances. It
was as if a switch was being handled...a sign of a great ensemble!"

MopCo formats include Theatresports (Theatrical competition between teams of
improvisors), Spontaneous Broadway (a full length improvised musical from
audience suggestions) and Tapestry (a multi media "improv jazz" show
blending story, song, and visuals.)

The words of local media personalities may say it best:
   -- "I have seen improv before and I'm sure you have too, but THESE actors
are ready for prime-time.  Have you ever watched a performance so brave that
you wanted to shake the performer's hand or kiss her cheek after the show?
That's how I felt." - Susan Arbetter, WCNY Radio

   -- "If you've never seen a` Mop & Bucket performance, be assured they're
laugh-till-you-cry funny." - Kristi L. Gustafson, Times Union

   -- "From its humble beginnings, this troupe has morphed and grown into a
top-notch unit capable of all kinds of theatrical gamesmanship, much of it
of their own invention."   - Michael Eck, Times Union