[Capdist-announce] WAM Theatre's 'Melancholy Play' opens tonight-only 8 performances

Kristen van Ginhoven kristen at wamtheatre.com
Fri Nov 12 11:12:14 EST 2010

*WAM THEATRE'S  MELANCHOLY PLAY OPENS TONIGHT*

*NOVEMBER 12-21, 2010 AT NEW STAGE PERFORMING ARTS CENTER*

*Event to Benefit The Women’s Fund of Western Massachusetts*

WAM Theatre returns with Tony nominated Sarah Ruhl's 'Bold, Outward, Sassy,
Sexy and Unashamed'* contemporary farce, 'Melancholy Play'. This production
will run from November 12-21, 2010 at the NEW STAGE Performing Arts Center
in Pittsfield, MA and will feature Betsy Holt (Oldcastle’s ‘Leading Ladies’)
as Tilly, Todd Quick (Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey) as Frank, Per
Janson (Trinity Rep) as Lorenzo, Karen Lee (The Wharton Salon) as Frances,
Erika Helen Smith (Classic Stage Company) as Julian the cellist and Leigh
Strimbeck (co-Artistic Director of WAM) as Joan.  Director is Kristen van
Ginhoven with Scenic Design by Juliana Haubrich, Costume Design by Yvonne
Perry, Lighting Design by Nick Webb, Sound Design by Joe and Jan Jurchak.
Production Stage Manager is Emily Curro and Assistant Director is Jamuna
Yvette Sirker. In line with WAM Theatre's philanthropic mission, a portion
of the proceeds from this event will be donated to the Women's Fund of
Western Massachusetts. Tickets are now on sale by calling 1-800-838-3006 or
going to www.wamtheatre.com

*Theatre Communications Group

*WHERE:*

NEW STAGE PERFORMING ARTS CENTER, 55 North Street, Pittsfield, MA

*WHEN:*

Friday, November 12, 2010: 8pm

Saturday, November 13, 2010: 3pm* & 8 pm

Sunday, November 14, 2010: 3pm

Friday, November 19, 2010: 8pm

Saturday, November 20, 2010: 3pm* & 8pm

Sunday, November 21, 2010: 3pm

**A free post-show discussion with the actors and creative team will follow.
*

*TICKETS:*

$25 general public

$12 students

To book tickets, go to www.wamtheatre.com or call 1-800-838-3006

*ABOUT THE SHOW:*

Tilly (bank teller), Frances (hairdresser), Joan (nurse), Frank (tailor) and
Lorenzo (therapist), together with Julian (cellist), come together in this
whimsical celebration of sadness. Tilly, an irresistibly melancholy young
stranger, makes her sorrow so sexy that everyone in her life falls
maddeningly in love with her. Tilly's sudden joyful transformation results
in a mystical and hilarious quest exploring the happiness of melancholy and
the melancholy of happiness.

*This play is suitable for ages 13 and up.*

*
*

**
*

Kristen van Ginhoven, co-artistic director of WAM Theatre remarked, “We are
looking forward to people joining us at NEW STAGE Performing Arts Center for
our first full production of a play by a female playwright and our first
with a local beneficiary, The Women’s Fund of Western Massachusetts. By
coming to see WAM’s production of ‘Melancholy Play’, you are helping to
create opportunity for women and girls right here in our community!”

Marjorie Hutter, Director of Philanthropy for The Women’s Fund of Western
Massachusetts remarked,  “I remember when Kristen first called me to talk
about the vision for WAM – that offering a theatrical venue for women’s
voices and experiences would go hand-in-hand with advancing women’s
philanthropy for social change. As the chosen beneficiary of WAM’s fall
show, the Women’s Fund couldn’t ask for a better alignment of mission and
values. We welcome this terrific opportunity to share with WAM’s audience
the impact of our grantmaking in Berkshire County. So when you attend WAM’s
fall production, please know that you’ll also be part of changing the world,
right here at home!”

“Sarah Ruhl is among the most acclaimed and accomplished young playwrights
on the contemporary scene. Ms. Ruhl's signature style blends a vibrant
emotionalism with quirky comedy in theatrically adventurous ways.” - New
York Times

“Sarah Ruhl’s Melancholy Play mixed the absurdity of Pirandello and Fellini
and the edgy prettiness of Edna St. Vincent Millay. Off-beat, lyrical and
just a little bit nutty, it is a real charmer.” -Chicago Sun-Times
*

*About WAM Theatre:*

WAM Theatre is a theatre company based in the Berkshires of Massachusetts
and the Capital Region of New York State. Inspired by the book ‘Half the
Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide’ by Nicholas
Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, WAM Theatre was founded in 2009 by professional
theatre artists Kristen van Ginhoven and Leigh Strimbeck. WAM’s
philanthropic mission is two-fold. First, producing theatrical events for
everyone, with a focus on women theatre artists and/or stories of women and
girls. Second, to donate a portion of the proceeds from those events to
organizations that benefit women and girls.www.wamtheatre.com

*About The Women’s Fund of Western Massachusetts:*

The vision of the Women's Fund of Western Massachusetts is to empower women
and girls to reach their full potential in a world that is just and fair for
all. Their mission is to create economic and social equality for women and
girls in Western Massachusetts through grantmaking and strategic
initiatives. The proceeds donated from this production will be directed to
the Fund's grantmaking initiatives. www.womensfund.net

More information at www.wamtheatre.com

Photographs available upon request to kaitlyn at wamtheatre.com

Kristen van Ginhoven