[Capdist-announce] PERFORMANCE, McPherson's "St Nicholas" for St Patrick's

Ted Phelps phelpstk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 23:17:49 EST 2011

Contact:  <mailto:Ted.Phelps at stnicholasplay.info>
Ted.Phelps at stnicholasplay.info

St Nicholas

By Conor McPherson

For St Patrick's

Performed by Ted Phelps

Thu March 17, Fri March 18, Sat March 19

8 PM

Space 360

360 Warren St.

Hudson, NY

$20. $15 for Students

Cash or Check at the Door

Credit Cards Online:  <http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/143016>
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/143016

Pictures, audio, description, tickets, questions:

 <http://www.stnicholasplay.info/> http://www.stnicholasplay.info

 <http://www.stnicholasplay.info/> StNicholasPlay.info

Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=203220219694039>  Event

One-man, dramatic monologue by Ireland's acclaimed contemporary playwright,

Conor McPherson ("The Seafarer," "The Weir"). The sole character, a
middle-aged,

worn out Dublin theater critic, tells his guests (the audience) how his
obsession

with a young actress led to working for a house of vampires in London.

 "St Nicholas, like other McPherson work, is good dramatic art,

drawing us, eyes open, through the murky world of our dreams."

-Ted Phelps

Press Release:

"ST NICHOLAS" PLAY FOR ST. PATRICK'S DAY, IN HUDSON

Hudson - On St. Patrick's Day and the following two evenings, Columbia
County resident Ted Phelps will present Conor McPherson's one-man play, "St
Nicholas," at Space 360 in Hudson, NY. March 17 marks the 13th anniversary
of the play's opening in New York City.

McPherson is a highly acclaimed contemporary Irish playwright with a taste
for the paranormal. His popular play, "The Weir," tells ghost stories, and
"The Seafarer" brings the devil to a game of poker. In "St Nicholas"
McPherson does vampires. Phelps plays the sole character, a middle-aged,
worn out Dublin theater critic, who tells his guests (the audience) how his
obsession with a young actress led to working for a house of vampires in
London. Phelps describes the tale as "a man unzipping his life.brutal and
crude and poetic."

Phelps, inspired by playing Jimmy in McPherson's "The Weir" for Theater
Voices in Albany last spring, went on to learn "St Nicholas" over the summer
and performed it in his Victorian home in Valatie on Halloween. Guests said
it was "authentic and mesmerizing." Phelps discovered that "A Victorian
living room at night is probably the ideal setting for this play. McPherson
may have wanted the play to be done this way, even though it's hard to make
it profitable on that scale." John Velie, who directed "The Weir" last
spring in Albany attended Phelps' Halloween "St Nicholas" and said , "I so
appreciated the sound of footsteps slowly coming down the stairs at the
open. You put us in the room with you and made the occasion of our gathering
an integral part of the performance. It worked! I've never seen this play
performed elsewhere, but I can't imagine it having the same power in a large
theater."

Phelps is recreating that intimate, face-to-face dramatic space at Hudson's
Space 360. The venue is well known to the actor as he performed two dramatic
monologues there in 2009. Phelps, who has performed locally for Ghent
Playhouse, Theater Voices, and Walking the Dog Theater says he is "an actor
for the love of art" and chose this play because "it is good dramatic art,
drawing us, eyes open, through the murky world of our dreams."