[Capdist-announce] Opening Night Tonight @ 7:30pm-Win FREE tickets to our Mother's Day Performance

Kristen van Ginhoven kristen at wamtheatre.com
Thu May 5 09:37:13 EDT 2011

*Join us for our Opening Night tonight @ 7:30pm at James Meader Theatre in
Troy, NY. *
Playing: 'My Salvation has a First Name: A Wienermobile Journey' and
'Performing Therapy'

OR

*Win a pair of FREE tickets to WAM Theatre's O Solo Mama Mia Festival's
Mother's Day Performance*

For: Sunday May 8 @ 2pm (James L. Meader Theatre, Russell Sage College,
Troy, NY)

*Answer this question correctly to win:*

*When was the first Mother's Day observed? *

Submit your correct response to *info at wamtheatre.com*
<info at wamtheatre.com>by Sunday, May 8 at 12 noon.  Limited to the
first 10 correct respondents.
Winners will be notified via email.  Additional tickets may be purchased at
1-800-838-3006.

O SOLO MAMA MIA FESTIVAL
TROY, NY (05-02-11)-- From May 5-8, 2011, WAM Theatre will present a
festival of solo works written and performed by women to benefit the
training of at least one community midwife at Edna’s Hospital in Somaliland.
The Festival will run from May 5-8 in at the James Meader Little Theatre on
the Russell Sage Campus in Troy, NY.

“We are delighted to share the work of these talented women theatre artists
from our region and beyond. Their work covers such a range of topics: from
Paris in the 1890’s, to group therapy, coming out, and overcoming bullying,”
state Kristen van Ginhoven and Leigh Strimbeck, co-Artistic Directors of WAM
Theatre. “And, in keeping with WAM’s double philanthropic mission, a portion
of every single ticket sold will go to train a community midwife in
Somaliland, a country with one of the worst maternal mortality rates in the
world. ”

"We have a dream to train 1,000 community midwives", says Edna Adan Ismail,
founder and director of Edna's Hospital, “Our Community Midwives training
program saves the lives of women in villages. We are grateful that WAM
Theatre has chosen Edna's Hospital and our program as their beneficiary for
the O Solo Mama Mia Festival. Their help will get us one step closer to
achieving our dream."

WHERE:
May 5-8, 2011, James L. Meader Theatre, Russell Sage Campus, Troy, NY
Appropriate for 13+
[Festival also runs in Pittsfeld, MA from May 12-15-see
www.WAMTheatre.comfor more info]

TICKETS:
$25 adults/$15 students
$40 Festival Pass
To purchase by phone: 1-800-838-3006
To purchase tickets: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/168086
To purchase a festival pass: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/170009

THEATRE FESTIVAL SHOWS AND TIMES:
Thursday, May 5:
7:30-My Salvation has a First Name: A Wienermobile Journey + Performing
Therapy

Friday, May 6:
7:30-My Salvation has a First Name: A Wienermobile Journey + How to be a
Lesbian in 10 Days or Less

Saturday, May 7:
2:00-Paris 1890-Unlaced! + How to be a Lesbian in 10 Days or Less

Saturday, May 7:
7:30-Performing Therapy + Paris 1890-Unlaced!

Sunday, May 8:
2:00-Performing Therapy + Paris 1890-Unlaced!

SHOW INFO: [more detailed info at www.WAMTheatre.com]

*My Salvation has A First Name: A Wienermobile Journey*
Written and performed by Robin Gelfenbien
Based on the true story of an insecure goody-goody who overcomes years of
bullying and finds redemption and her true voice behind the windshield of
the Wienermobile, with music, video and photo footage from life on the hot
dog highway. “4 stars” (Time Out New York)

*How To Be A Lesbian in 10 Days or Less-Regional Premiere*
Written and performed by Leigh Hendrix
Not a coming out story, but not not a coming out story, this show is framed
as a dynamic workshop led by teacher and motivational speaker Butchy McDyke
who will help you become the “best lesbian you can be!

*Performing Therapy*
Written by Camilla Schade and Kira Lallas, performed by Camilla Schade
This one-woman, group-therapy comedy about depression is a sideways safari
through loss, displacement, dementia, depression and the surprise healing
nature of upstate New York.

*Paris 1890-Unlaced!- Capital Region Premiere*
Written by Juliane Hiam, directed by Sarah Taylor, performed by Anne
Undeland
 A quick and saucy romp through Paris in the Belle Epoque — a glittering
world of infamous courtesans, imperious grandes dames, and clueless but
ambitious cancan dancers.

Kristen van Ginhoven
co-Artistic Director, WAM Theatre
www.wamtheatre.com