[Capdist-announce] Aida at SLOC, opening this weekend, December 3-4 and 8-11

Michael McDermott irishmike518 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 01:19:22 EST 2011

AIDA at SLOC!!!

Schenectady Light Opera Company is proud to present the Capital District Community Theater premiere of Elton John’s AIDA, under the direction of Michael C. Mensching.  Part Broadway musical, part dance spectacular and part rock concert, AIDA is a story about the power and timelessness of love. Winner of four Tony Awards in 2000, including best lighting, scenic design, best actress and best musical score, AIDA features music by pop legend Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice, who wrote the lyrics for hit shows like Jesus Christ Superstar and Evita.  Aida also won the Grammy for Best Musical Show that same year, based on the original cast recording, with such notable songs as "Written in the Stars", "My Strongest Suit", and "Elaborate Lives", among others.

The production is honored to have some of the best talent in the capital region, with Dashira Cortes in the title role, Nick Abounader as Radames and Maggie Ecker as Amneris.    Rounding out the cast is local magician Jeffrey Jene as Zoser, local area favorites Brandon Jones as Mereb, Kevin McNamara as Pharaoh, Emmett Ferris as Amonasro and Jennifer Payeur as Nehebka. The brilliant choreography by Gregory Theodore Marsh features an exceptional dance team in multiple roles.  The music, under direction of Jason Dashew, will be raised to a new level with the addition of a luminous 20 person Egyptian chorus.

“I’m delighted to return to SLOC, after we had the honor of opening the new theater last year, with Drowsy Chaperone," says Mike Mensching.  “This is an exciting production to helm at SLOC, as I have the opportunity to work with many new members on the creative team.  This is the kind of show that will appeal to a wide range of our local arts audience, and most especially to people who are familiar with Elton John’s musical contributions to Broadway— the Lion King and Billy Elliot."

Set in ancient Egypt, the story focuses on the Nubian princess, Aida, who is captured by an Egyptian captain, Radames. He saves her from a life of hard labor by giving her as a handmaiden to the Egyptian princess Amneris, his future bride. Amneris and Aida become close friends, even as Radames and Aida secretly fall in love. When this dangerous love triangle clashes with a plot to kill the Pharaoh, it shakes the ancient world to its core. A tale of love, loyalty and betrayal, Aida is ultimately the story of three people who are forced to make difficult choices for love, choices that will alter the course of history forever.

AIDA is scheduled to be performed December 2-3, 8-10 at 8 pm and Dec. 4 and 11 at 2 pm.  Tickets are available at the Box Office by calling 1-877-350-7378 or on-line at http://www.sloctheater.org/season-AIDA.html

Michael McDermott
(518) 669-5414