[Capdist-announce] REMINDER! Wally Cardona + Jennifer Lacey: TOOL IS LOOT | 04/20+21, 8 PM | EMPAC, Troy, NY

jason steven murphy MURPHJ8 at rpi.edu
Thu Apr 19 08:54:34 EDT 2012

http://empac.rpi.edu/events/2012/spring/cardona
PERFORMANCE
Wally Cardona + Jennifer Lacey with Jonathan Bepler: TOOL IS LOOT
Friday + Saturday, April 20 + 21, 2012, 8 PM
EMPAC Studio 1 – Goodman
Troy, NY
$18 general admission / $13 non-Rensselaer students, seniors, and Rensselaer faculty + staff / $6 Rensselaer students

Choreographers/dancers Wally Cardona and Jennifer Lacey come together in TOOL IS LOOT with their identities simultaneously undone and strengthened. They ask the question: What comes after you don’t know anymore?

For one year, Cardona and Lacey worked apart, in the US and France, respectively. Each solicited weeklong encounters with non-dance experts, allowing the opinions and desires of an “outsider” to shift what they knew about creating short solos. These experts included a sommelier, an architect, a film editor, a medical supply salesman, a kinetic sculptor, a baroque opera singer, an art critic, an acoustician, and a social activist. An encounter with one expert, Dr. Heidi Newberg, Rensselaer professor of physics, applied physics, and astronomy, resulted in a solo dance that was performed as part of EMPAC’s biennial Filament festival. Cardona and Lacey worked together this past summer while in residence at EMPAC to build their disparate experiences into this duet.

“We would like to believe that our bodies and our brains are fantastically flexible and responsive to change, containing—at any moment—both the abstract and the specific. Well… what we’ve learned is that this is both gloriously true and frustratingly untrue. But that’s okay, really, and this dance proves it. There will be a swan, a prince, a robot, sexual behavior, and two chairs. Sometimes all at once.” — Wally Cardona and Jennifer Lacey

+ New York Times preview: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/arts/dance/wally-cardona-and-jennifer-laceys-tool-is-loot.html
+ New York Times review: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/24/arts/dance/tool-is-loot-with-jennifer-lacey-and-wally-cardona.html
+ Culturebot review: http://culturebot.net/2011/09/11345/tool-is-loot-at-the-kitchen/

+ video of Cardona's performance from EMPAC's Filament festival: http://vimeo.com/22326565

Wally Cardona is an award winning Brooklyn-based choreographer and dancer who creates projects that range widely in scale and use of setting and materials.

Jennifer Lacey is an American choreographer based in Paris. She has founded a number of projects and has produced several solo works that emphasize ambiguous borders.

Jonathan Bepler is a composer, musician, singer, and teacher who has worked on a wide range of dramatic/cinematic scores, soundtrack material, and other performance pieces.

Thomas Dunn designs lighting for architecture, dance, music, theater, and visual art venues in the US and abroad.

Evelyn’s Café will open at 7 PM with a full menu of meals, snacks, and beverages as well as a selection of wines - service continues after the performance. Parking is available in the Rensselaer parking lot on College Avenue.

Additional event information can be found on the EMPAC website: http://empac.rpi.edu/. Questions? Call the EMPAC Box Office: 518.276.3921.