[Capdist-announce] RELEASE: WAM Theatre is company-in-residence at WordXWord Festival creating 'like/unlike'-Aug 13-17

Kristen van Ginhoven kristen at wamtheatre.com
Sun Aug 5 22:00:05 EDT 2012

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

Contact: Kristen van Ginhoven

www.wamtheatre.com

518 243 9627

kristen at wamtheatre.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wamtheatre/sets/72157630923291270/<http://www.flickr.com/photos/wamtheatre/7721581350/in/photostream>

*“WAM Theatre creates ‘like/unlike’ at WordXWord Festival”*

PITTSFIELD, MA (06-08-12)- WAM Theatre will be company in residence at the
2012 WordXWord Festival from August 13-August 17. Over five days of public
rehearsals in the Upstairs at Spice Dragon on North Street, they will be
working with an ensemble of professional actors to create a free workshop
performance on Friday, August 17 at 8pm of ‘like/unlike’, created and
directed by Leigh Strimbeck, WAM Theatre co-founder.

‘like/unlike’ explores the impact of social media on women’s lives and will
feature professional actors Pooja Karina, Brenny Rabine, Erica Tryon and
Kristie Wortman. Dramaturge Cindy Parrish and Technical Director Robert
Bovard are also working on the project.

“This show about social media and its impact on women and girls has been on
my mind for several years,” says Leigh Strimbeck, creator and
director. “What a thrill that WAM Theatre is the company in residence
at the
WordXWord Festival and we are going to be doing the first, very important
phase of the work this August! I am particularly excited that all
rehearsals are open, and people can drop by Upstairs at Spice Dragon and
check out the process.  The talkback after the show on Friday night is
something else I am counting on to be a dynamic part of developing this
work."

WAM Theatre’s artistic director, Kristen van Ginhoven, says, ‘We are
grateful to the Brabson Library & Educational Foundation, MADMACS,
Pittfield Cultural Council, Spice Dragon and WordxWord for making it
possible to do this first workshop. We hope people will help us generate
material for this workshop by going to our Facebook and Twitter pages and
joining the social media conversations that are currently unfolding.’

Jim Benson, creator of the WordXWord festival, adds,” "This residency
enriches our audience's experience and broadens the festival's reach. The
subject addressed by this work seems especially relevant to a festival that
puts words, and the evolving way they are used, at center stage. Beyond
this single work, WordXWord also sees WAM Theatre as a dynamic partner in
the arts, with an impact - especially on the lives of the women and girls
in our community - that is positive and significant. We are thrilled to
support their work. ”

*Public Rehearsal Schedule:*

All takes place Upstairs @ Spice Dragon, 297 North Street, Pittsfield, MA:

Monday, August 13: 10am-1pm, 2pm-5pm

Tuesday, August 14: 10am-1pm, 2pm-5pm

Wednesday, August 15: 10am-1pm, 2pm-5pm

Thursday, August 16: Noon-5pm, 7pm-10pm

Friday, August 17: Noon-5pm, 8pm Workshop Performance followed by a
talkback.

For more information: www.WAMTheatre.com <http://www.wamtheatre.com/>

*About WAM Theatre:*

WAM Theatre is a theatre company based in the Berkshires of Massachusetts
and the Capital Region of New York State. Inspired by the book ‘Half the
Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide’ by Nicholas
Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, WAM Theatre was founded in 2009 by professional
theatre artists Kristen van Ginhoven and Leigh Strimbeck. WAM’s
philanthropic mission is two-fold; first, producing theatrical events for
everyone, with a focus on women theatre artists and/or stories of women and
girls; second, to donate a portion of the proceeds from those events to
organizations that benefit women and girls. WAM has donated nearly $5000 to
its beneficiaries by creating professional theatre for everyone that
benefit women and girls. www.wamtheatre.com

<http://www.wamtheatre.com/>

*UPCOMING WAM Theatre Events:* World Premiere of Susan Dworkin's 'The Old
Mezzo' to benefit Shout Out Loud Productions-October 12-28:
http://www.wamtheatre.com/the-old-mezzo/

###

Kristen van Ginhoven
Artistic Director, WAM Theatre