[Capdist-announce] RELEASE: WAM Theatre wraps up third year with record $2400 donation

Kristen van Ginhoven kristen at wamtheatre.com
Mon Dec 10 10:22:58 EST 2012

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

Contact: Kristen van Ginhoven

www.wamtheatre.com

518 243 9627

kristen at wamtheatre.com

Photo of gift presentation at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wamtheatre/8143083516

*WAM Theatre makes record $2400 donation to Shout Out Loud Productions*

* A successful end to third year*

PITTSFIELD, MA (12-10-12)— In keeping with WAM Theatre’s double
philanthropic mission, their acclaimed October World Premiere Production of
*‘The Old Mezzo’ *by Susan Dworkin led to a $2400 donation to the
production’s beneficiary, Shout Out Loud Productions, a local non-profit
taking action to address sexual trafficking.  The check presentation was
made following the final performance at the Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield.

Kristen van Ginhoven, WAM Theatre’s Artistic Director says, "We are
delighted with the success of our first World Premiere. In 2012, our third
year in operation, WAM Theatre performed for over 1,000 people, provided
paid contract work to nearly 30 theatre professionals and now, made our
largest donation to date to a beneficiary. We are very proud of these
accomplishments and thankful to all who support our work to create theatre
for everyone that benefits women and girls.”

WAM Theatre began it’s 2012 season in April with the second sold out 24hr
Capital Region/Berkshires Theatre Project hosted at Shakespeare & Company,
in which over 50 theatre artists came together to produce 5 new works by
women playwrights in 24hrs. The 2013 WAM/MopCo 24hr collaboration will take
place on May 18 at Proctor’s Theatre in Schenectady, NY.

In August, WAM Theatre was company in residence at the WordxWord festival
in Pittsfield, presenting the first workshop performance of ‘like/unlike’,
created and directed by Leigh Strimbeck, Artistic Advisor and co-founder of
WAM Theatre. ‘like/unlike’ was created over five days in residence with a
team of seven theatre professionals who explored the impact of social media
on the lives of women today. The project was funded by WordxWord, the
Brabson Library and Educational Foundation, Pittsfield Cultural Council and
presented Upstairs at Spice Dragon.

Also in 2012, Artistic Director Kristen van Ginhoven was the recipient of a
Martha Boschen Porter Fund Award, a fund administered by the Berkshire
Taconic Foundation. The award supported the World Premiere production of ‘*The
Old Mezzo'. *The play, presented in October at the Berkshire Museum,
revolved around the political awakening of a great opera singer and was
deemed ‘a winner’ by critics.

 Ashley Berridge, WAM Theatre President of the Board, says, "WAM Theatre is
grateful to all our audiences, donors and to Mission Bar & Tapas, our
season sponsor, plus the following 2012 corporate sponsors for making our
season possible: Adams Community Bank, Arizona Pizza, Berkshire Bank
Foundation, Cohen Kinne Valicenti & Cook LLP, Greylock Federal Credit
Union, Interprint, MadMacs and Pittsfield Coop Bank.

van Ginhoven continues, "Other organizations and foundations who helped
make our 2012 productions possible include Barrington Stage Company,
Berkshire Museum, Berkshire Theatre Group, Brabson Library and Educational
Foundation, Dylandale Foundation, Greenbergs, Luminix Light, Martha Boschen
Porter Fund, Pittsfield Cultural Council, Sonoco, Space Dev Foundation and
Williams College. Our work is possible in large part due to their
generosity and support."

WAM Theatre's 2013 season will be announced in the new year.

 *About WAM Theatre:*

WAM Theatre is a theatre company based in the Berkshires of Massachusetts
and the Capital Region of New York State. Inspired by the book ‘Half the
Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide’ by Nicholas
Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, WAM Theatre was founded in 2009 by professional
theatre artists Kristen van Ginhoven and Leigh Strimbeck. WAM’s
philanthropic mission is two-fold; first, producing theatrical events for
everyone, with a focus on women theatre artists and/or stories of women and
girls; second, to donate a portion of the proceeds from those events to
organizations that benefit women and girls. WAM has donated over $7000 to
its beneficiaries by creating professional theatre for everyone that
benefits women and girls. www.wamtheatre.com

*###*

Kristen van Ginhoven
Artistic Director, WAM Theatre