[Capdist-announce] Family Players Presents "Sentimental Journey: A USO Tribute to Honor Flight

Jeffrey Hocking jeffrey.hocking at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 19:47:11 EST 2012

*

* *

*Family Players of NENY Proudly Presents*

*“Sentimental Journey: A USO Tribute to Honor Flight”*

*February 18th – Dinner at 6, Show at 7:15 pm – American Legion Zaloga Post*

* *

Several times a year, a group of local World War II veterans and their
guardians visit the WWII Monument in Washington, DC. Typically, the
emotions run the gamut – from pride to sorrow – as these vets share their
stories, remember their fallen colleagues and receive a deserving hero’s
welcome at every turn. Multiple motorcycles escort them to the airport,
current military and civilians honor them inside, kids salute them at the
monument and the best in people comes forward during this special trip.
It’s a sight – and an experience – to behold.

The Honor Flight organization of the Central Leatherstocking Region makes
it all possible, organizing the trips from Albany to DC and paying for
every vet who wants to go. Our WWII veterans are dying at a rate of about
1,200 every day, so time is of the essence. And Honor Flight has been
working tirelessly to raise the funds to send several flights every year.

The group’s home region – including Schoharie and Middleburgh – continues
their flood recovery efforts, which makes fundraising for Honor Flight more
difficult as residents contend with their own community needs. So, the
Family Players of Northeastern New York, a Capital District community
theater group, is stepping in to help. With over 25 years of presenting
family-friendly fare within our community, Family Players is proud to count
military veterans among our cast, crew and audience members. Plus, we
firmly believe in the mission of Honor Flight.

That’s why we’re proudly presenting *Family Players’ “Sentimental Journey:
A USO Tribute to Honor Flight.”* This night of World War II music, dancing
and remembrance will honor the Andrews Sisters, Lena Horne, Rosie the
Riveter, “Who’s on First?” and other featured entertainment from this era.
The USO Show will be held *Saturday, Feb. 18th* *(with a snow date of Feb.
25th) at the American Legion’s Zaloga Post, 4 Everett Road
Extension.*Dinner will be served at 6 pm before the show begins at
7:15 pm, plus we’ll
have raffles and photo opportunities. All proceeds will be used to send
WWII veterans on the next Honor Flight.

Tickets are just $15 for a ziti dinner, dessert and the show – please call
Mary at 331-4158 to get your tickets now. We’re putting Family Players’
talent, commitment and heart into this important tribute and look forward
to seeing you there! **

* *

*Family Players of NENY, Inc. • 2205 Plum Street • Niskayuna, NY 12309*

*(518) 374-4012 • julescphillips at gmail.com • www.familyplayersofneny.com*