[Capdist-announce] Last 3 "Great Expectations" at SUNY

Patrick White white.patrick68 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 09:41:30 EST 2012

Thursday & Friday, March 1 & March 2 at 8pm
Saturday, March 3 at 2pm

New adaptation by Chad Larabee
Based on the novel by Charles Dickens
Directed by Chad Larabee
This world premiere production celebrates the 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens’ birth.  Orphaned as an infant and thrust into a childhood of cruel poverty, Pip, here called Hub in a new modernized American adaptation clings to the hope of a brighter life.  A chance meeting with a prisoner and an eccentric old woman sets into motion a life's journey beyond his wildest imaginings as he struggles to realize the American Dream.more info...

MAIN THEATRE -$12 general public
$8 from Feb. 23-26 and $10 from Feb. 29-March 3 for students, faculty-staff & seniors

"The thing I most appreciate about "Great Expectations" is that the minor flaws add to the experience. How satisfying to see talented young actors working to bring alive and make contemporary great literature. Sorry to say, you don't get much of that at local community theaters.

Sadder to say, we won't be getting any more of this at the University at Albany as the theater program is being eliminated. If you thought the idea of dropping theater was crazy - go see "Great Expectations" and realize it is a truly insane and destructive plan."
Bob Goepfert
Troy Recor