[Capdist-announce] Confetti Stage Open Invitation

Vivian Hwang Vivian.Hwang01 at albany.edu
Fri May 25 20:24:22 EDT 2012

An Open Invitation to our Theater Friends:
As you no doubt have heard, Confetti Stage is at a crossroads. During our
2011 holiday production, we announced that Confetti Stage was taking a
hiatus to assess the company’s future.  Despite the critically acclaimed
productions produced by Confetti, we simply have not generated the
audiences sufficient to meet the company’s ongoing financial obligations.
has spent the last several months researching and discussing the various
causes and potential solutions.

Our guiding principle has always been “theater without limits.” The Board
is committed to continuing if Confetti can sustain its operations without
compromising on its founding principle.  Confetti Stage has an established
reputation for selecting vehicles that challenge performers artistically
and audiences intellectually. It has been because of this principle that we
have always attracted some of the very best talent in the area. Confetti
Stage has and will continue to produce plays that actors want to perform.

Your efforts have continually graced Confetti Stage with an abundance of
awards and 2011 was certainly a banner year. Seven productions received
multiple TANYS awards. For the second year in a row, Confetti was invited
to compete at the annual state-wide TANYS festival. Our production of *Dog
Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead* won the Best Long Production
award at Festival. We are also thrilled to announce that our
production of *Safe
Words* was selected to represent New York State in the original works
competition at this year’s Eastern States Theater Festival.

This June 15 – 23, Confetti Stage will proudly present two one-act works by
the leading figure of absurdist theater, Eugene Ionesco. The Ionesco
selections will be *The Chairs*, directed by Linda Shirey, and *The Lesson*,
directed by Neilson Jones. With your help, we fully expect our June
production to be a huge critical and audience success.

Friends, your attendance encourages and energizes us; but your financial
support sustains us. Conservatively, Confetti Stage needs $10,000 to
sustain its operations, which includes past and current obligations. While
the Board is aggressively seeking additional funding sources, your
financial support is critical to our success.
In an unprecedented move, we will be offering these two plays for just two
dollars. Two plays for two dollars. At the theater, there will be several
ways for you to contribute, including an “50/50” raffle, bucket auction
with some unique prizes, a cash donation box, membership applications, and
a few surprises. Together, we can ensure Confetti Stage continues to
deliver theater without limits for years to come.