[Capdist-announce] PR: 2 days until WAM Theatre/Sisters for Peace 'Half the Sky' screening at Mahaiwe

Kristen van Ginhoven kristen at wamtheatre.com
Wed Mar 13 11:35:46 EDT 2013

***FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

Contact: Kelly Galvin

*www.wamtheatre.com*

*518 243 9627*

*kelly at wamtheatre.com*

*HALF THE SKY SCREENING on March 15 at the Mahaiwe*

*Co-hosted by Sisters for Peace/WAM Theatre as part of Berkshire Festival
of Women Writers *

PITTSFIELD, MA (03/13/13)— Sisters for Peace and WAM Theatre are delighted
to be hosting a free screening of the PBS Documentary ‘Half the Sky:
Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide’ at the Mahaiwe
Performing Arts Center this Friday, March 15 at 7pm as part of the March
Berkshire Festival of Women Writers.

This powerful documentary*,* inspired by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl
WuDunn's bestselling book, introduces women and girls who are living under
some of the most difficult circumstances imaginable and fighting bravely to
change them. The film reflects viable and sustainable options for
empowerment and offers an actionable blueprint for transformation.

The film will be followed by a community discussion exploring effective
actions and agents of change for women and girls in our own community and
beyond.  The panel will be moderated by Kristen van Ginhoven of WAM Theatre
and will include Janis Broderick of Elizabeth Freeman Center and The
Berkshire County Commission on the Status of Women, Maia Conty from AIER’s
Women’s Financial Empowerment Series, Shirley Edgarton from Rite of Passage
for Girls program and the Women of Color Giving Circle, Jeanet Ingalls from
Shout Out Loud Productions, Bryan Nurnberger from Simply Smiles and Ananda
Timpane from Railroad Street Youth Project.

There will also be a special performance during the evening, featuring
Lizzie West, local singer songwriter. Lizzie has toured at length and has
had her music in films, TV, and on the radio. Entertainment Weekly called
her a "visionary troubadour." She performs with her husband Baba Buffalo, a
seasoned player of a most magical music sound.

Caroline Wheeler, founder of Sisters for Peace, states, “Through the Half
the Sky stories, Kristof and WuDunn help us see the key to economic
progress lies in unleashing women’s potential. They make clear how so many
people have helped to do just that, and how we can each do our part.
Sisters for Peace has been wanting to host a screening of this documentary
since it came out and we hope many people will join us to hear more and
share how they have also been inspired by Half the Sky.”

Kristen van Ginhoven, Artistic Director of WAM Theatre, adds “WAM is proud
to successfully be using theatre as our way of being part of the Half the
Sky movement. We are delighted to be co-hosting this screening and look
forward to meeting more agents of change in our community.”

 The Half the Sky screening is sponsored by McTeigue & McClellend and
Sisters for Peace.

*About Sisters for Peace:*
Like many who have read Half the Sky, Sisters for Peace founder Caroline
Wheeler was compelled to engage others to get involved and to work together
to help empower women and girls around the world. In just over a year,
Sisters for Peace has rallied to do volunteer work and has given over
$8,000 to local and global organizations. Sisters for Peace is an entirely
volunteer organization, and every dollar donated goes directly to the NGOs
that work to empower women and girls. It doesn’t take an extensive network
of partners and investors to start making a difference.
www.sistersforpeace.org

*About WAM Theatre:*
WAM Theatre is a theatre company based in the Berkshires of Massachusetts
and the Capital Region of New York State. Inspired by the book ‘Half the
Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide’ by Nicholas
Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, WAM Theatre was founded in 2009 by professional
theatre artists Kristen van Ginhoven and Leigh Strimbeck. WAM’s
philanthropic mission is two-fold; first, producing theatrical events for
everyone, with a focus on women theatre artists and/or stories of women and
girls; second, to donate a portion of the proceeds from those events to
organizations that benefit women and girls. WAM has donated over $7000 to
its beneficiaries by creating professional theatre for everyone that
benefits women and girls.*www.wamtheatre.com*

# # #

Kristen van Ginhoven
Artistic Director, WAM Theatre