[Capdist-announce] Johnny Mercer Revue

Jay Kerr fortsalem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 08:42:30 EDT 2014

Bambi Jones singing "Blues in the Night."

Bambi Jones, Juliet Ewing, and Joyce Nolen in Echoing Back

Joyce Nolen singing "Autumn Leaves."

FORT SALEM HOSTS
THREE BROADWAY PERFORMERS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SALEM – This upcoming weekend, June 27-29, for three shows only, Fort Salem Theater welcomes three Broadway singer/dancers in a revue performance of the great songs of Broadway/Hollywood songwriter, Johnny Mercer. Echoing Back: The Songs of Johnny Mercer musically highlights the career of one of the twentieth centuries most prolific songwriters, most of whose Broadway and film songs became standards in the Great American Songbook.

Singing “Moon River,” “Days of Wine and Roses,” “Come Rain or Come Shine,” “That Old Black Magic,” and “One for My Baby,” Juliet Ewing, Bambi Jones, and Joyce Nolen are joined by Fort Salem’s artistic director, Jay Kerr, on vocals and piano, and Granville music instructor Tim Patrick, on bass.

“These gals all have impeccable performing credentials,” boasts Kerr, who has traveled several times to Manhattan to rehearse with the ladies. “They’ve done the show before with my pianist/arranger friend, David Hancock Turner, with whom I worked when he was a student at Princeton. I’m filling in for him. These women are all top-notch dancers and singers. Juliet was in Footloose, Bambi in Nunsense, and Joyce did Stop the World, I Want to Get Off with Sammy Davis. I get to sing a song with these pros as my backup girls. Sweet!”

The show was conceived and is directed by Karin Baker, who appeared on Broadway in George M! and Coco, and was Gower Champion’s tap dance consultant and assistant on the original Broadway production of 42nd Street. Ms. Baker spent years creating songwriter revues at Trinity School in New York City, where she first presented The Melody Lingers On, based on the music and lyrics of Irving Berlin, which has since been presented in theaters and schools throughout the country.

Friday evening Salem’s Downtown Business Area boasts stores and galleries open until 8 PM. The Fort is advertising a 50% discount for Friday’s performance, to encourage folks who do not have family graduating from high school that evening to come to the theater rather than observing graduation from the streets. “We stop short of telling parents to let the kids get the diplomas and meet them back at the house,” says Kerr. “We still have two more performances they can come to.”

Echoing Back: The Songs of Johnny Mercer plays Friday and Saturday at 8 PM, with a Sunday matinee at 2 PM. For more information, visit the Fort Salem website (fortsalemtheater.com) or call the box office at (518) 854-9200.
Jay Kerr
Artistic Director
Fort Salem Theater
jay at fortsalemtheater.com