[Capdist-announce] Fort Salem July

JAY KERR fortsalem at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:53:16 EDT 2014

> Susan Cicarelli-Caputo, Heather-Liz Copps, Jerry Gretzinger and Erin Weaver

GRETZINGER SINGS ABOUT
WOMEN IN HIS LIFE

SALEM – When former CBS6 newsman Jerry Gretzinger left his co-anchor seat next to veteran Liz Bishop in early January to take on the role of Vice President of Communications for Albany’s College of Nanoscience and Engineering, his legion of fans also lost the daily news postings of their Facebook friend and worried that he was lost to them forever.

With the blessings and support of the college administration, Jerry is back with a vengeance, starring on Washington County’s Fort Salem Theater Mainstage as a once successful singer whose popularity is waning, in the new musical, Women in My Life, running for two weekends, July 11-20. As Jerry Jerome, Gretzinger balances his career with his ex-wife, former girl friend, and the women with whom he lives but fails to commit. Tough enough he has to deal with them in his personal life, he employs them all as his backup group, which means he also deals with them dealing with one another.

As the ex, Susan Cicarelli-Caputo, a fixture at the former NYSTI and Capital Rep, brings her years of theater experience to play against type as a sometimes bitter woman struggling with her own inability to separate from the man she has divorced. The former girl friend, played by Heather-Liz Copps, who sang opposite Gretzinger last year in the Not-So-Common Players’ Music Man, observes from a distance as Jerry Jerome gives his ego needed strokes by hitting on the new girl in the backup group, played by Gretzinger’s real-life fiancée, Erin Weaver.

Women in My Life, the creation of Fort Salem’s artistic director, Jay Kerr, contains serious autobiographical overtones. “I wrote this show when I was Jerry’s age, about issues in my own life as I dealt with an ex-wife who lived next door, and who would never fail to amaze the gal I was dating. Fast forward to my friend, Jerry Gretzinger, one of our great singing anchors (with Benita Zahn and Jessica Layton). Jerry was living through a lot of the same anxieties I had felt and written about.” With Jessica Layton delivering her first child and Zahn in a show somewhere else, Kerr proposed that he update his show, and consciously cast Gretzinger’s partner, not then engaged, for the role of the gal who wanted to get married.

Jerry Gretzinger has been singing and acting since his high school days in Kingston, when his father directed the annual school musicals. In November, 2009, the Singing Anchors started at Fort Salem’s cabaret, and since has performed all over the Capital Region, including headlining Saratoga First Night and sharing their annual Christmas show at Vapor in the Saratoga Racino. This is Jerry’s first musical comedy performance at the Fort since his very successful Forever Plaid, which was directed by Ms. Cicarelli-Caputo. “The stage is my first love,” he notes, “and I welcome any chance to play someone other than myself. That’s always fun. In this case, playing someone who is in ways so close to me is more of a challenge: the vulnerability has to be honest.”

Women in My Life will run for two weekends, slightly deviating from the Fort’s normal schedule, with 8PM shows on July 11, 12, and 18, and matinees July 13, 19 and 20. For tickets or more information, visit fortsalemtheater.com or call the box office at (518) 854-9200.