[Capdist-announce] PRESS RELEASE: A Theatrical Response to Race Relations in Berkshire County

Gail Burns gail at wamtheatre.com
Tue Dec 8 09:10:01 EST 2015

*WAM Theatre is delighted to support Gwendolyn, Jamuna and Kristen in this
important community event in February 2016. On their behalf, we are sharing
these first details with our media list. Thank you.*

A THEATER RESPONSE to RACE RELATIONS in BERKSHIRE COUNTY – Yvette “Jamuna”
Sirker, Kristen van Ginhoven and Gwendolyn VanSant present a reading of
FACING OUR TRUTH at The Colonial Theatre on February 6, 2016.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Gwendolyn VanSant- Project Director --413-394-4029, 413-717-8164

Kristen van Ginhoven- Production Coordinator- 518-243-9627

Yvette “Jamuna” Sirker – Artistic Coordinator  -- 413-358-5644, 504-491-0810

Facing Our Truth - A Collection of One-Acts Inspired by the

Trayvon Martin Case exploring race and privilege

February 6th at 7:30PM at The Colonial Theatre

(PITTSFIELD, MA)  Multicultural BRIDGE, WAM Theatre, Berkshire Theatre
Group and Yvette “Jamuna” Sirker are joining together to present a reading
of Facing Our Truth, a collection of six 10-minute plays by Winter Miller,
Marcus Gardley, Dominique Morrisseau, Mona Mansour & Tala Manassah, Dan
O’Brien with Quetzal Flores and A. Rey Pamatmat.  Reflecting on race
relations in the United States, this collection of one-acts was inspired by
events surrounding the Trayvon Martin case.  Berkshire Theatre Group hosts
the event at The Colonial Theatre (111 South Street), February 6, 2015 at
7:30PM with a moderated panel and community discussion to follow.

The directors for the Facing Our Truth one-acts include Sara Katzoff, Natalie
Johnsonius Neubert, Yvette “Jamuna” Sirker, Enrico Spada, Kristen van
Ginhoven.  The performers, who will be an exciting mix of professional
theatre performers  and community personalities acting alongside each other
onstage, will be announced in the new year.

In light of the 2013 verdict that found George Zimmerman not guilty of the
death of Trayvon Martin, New Black Fest in New York City commissioned six
very diverse playwrights to reflect on the case and to write 10-minute
plays on the topic of race and/or privilege. This commission resulted in a
collection of one-acts titled Facing our Truth which continue to be
presented around the country, often around February 5th, Trayvon Martin’s
birthday.  Facing Our Truth's purpose is to spark serious discussion in our
collective communities around these urgent issues.

The Facing Our Truth production team is committed to serving our community
by applying the national conversation on race-based hate crimes --  with
the accompanying vital theater response -- towards impacting our specific,
immediate need for an effective response to our County's specific needs and
challenges around race, bias and privilege. In light of the most recent tragic
events in our own community, Ms. Sirker, Ms. van Ginhoven and Mrs. VanSant
were inspired to present Facing Our Truth in commemoration of Trayvon
Martin and other victims of hate crimes. Proceeds support the work of
Multicultural BRIDGE.

Sponsors for this event include Mass Humanities.

Tickets are $15. Students $5 and can be purchased at the Colonial box
office, 413-997-4444 or berkshiretheatregroup.org.

For more information, call BRIDGE 413-394-4029 or email Facingourtruth@
multiculturalbridge.org.

#       #       #

--