[Capdist-announce] THE POTTING SHED: Free staged reading at SCP

John Hickman jwmhickman at nycap.rr.com
Mon Mar 30 14:35:33 EDT 2015

*Be our guest Saturday afternoon at . . .*

*/a Free Staged Reading of . . ./*

*/THE POTTING SHED/**/by Graham Greene at/***

*Schenectady Civic Playhouse, Saturday, April 4, 2:30 pm*

**

SCHENECTADY – Graham Greene’s “*The Potting Shed”, *directed by Joe
Phillips*,//*will be presented as a free staged reading Saturday, April
4, at 2:30 p.m. at the Schenectady Civic Playhouse, 12 So. Church
Street, in Schenectady’s historic Stockade district.One performance
only, it is part of a series celebrating Schenectady Civic Players’
87thseason.

Novelist, screenwriter and playwright Graham Greene's "The Potting Shed"
is a Tony-nominated 1950's drama weaving together a family mystery with
a mystery of faith.Twelve Civic Players and Capital area actors are
featured in this production.

As a formerly famous aetheist scholar, Henry Callifer, lies on his
deathbed, his estranged son James (played by *Peter Caracappa*) arrives
at the family mansion, where the once-great man's loved ones are
gathered, to pay his final respects. But his mother Mary Callifer
(*Barbara Petersen**)*bars him from seeing the dying patriarch. Why?
Mary's precocious teenaged granddaughter Anne (*Sophia Raup*) sets about
to uncover the family secret, which James has blacked from his memory --
but which has torn his marriage to Sara (*Melissa Bergin*) asunder. The
mystery revolves around another mysterious family member, Father William
Callifer (*Konrad Raup*); a long-ago summer; and a shocking incident in
the garden shed... and possibly, something miraculous.

Also in the cast are *George Filieau*as Henry's devoted acolyte, Dr.
Frederic Baston; *William Sanderson*as Anne's widowed father, John
Callifer; *Pat Brady***as Mrs. Potter, widow of the family's loyal
former gardener; *John Quinan*as Corner, James' flatmate;.*Allison
Aumick*as psychologist Dr. Kreuzer; and *Margot Phillips*as Father
Callifer's housekeeper, Mrs. Callahan. *Mary Darcy*narrates the staged
reading, which is directed by *Joe Phillips*, who helmed "Our Country's
Good" for SCP several seasons ago.

*-- Saturday, April 4, at 2:30 p.m. --***

/(One Performance Only)/

*Schenectady Civic Players ***

12 South Church St., in Schenectady’s historic Stockade District
(518-382-2081)

*/_FREE Admission.__Open Seating.__No advance reservations._ /*//

*/(Light refreshments served after the show in the Green Room)/*//

*/We’re _your_ community theater.At the reception ask how you might get
more involved in our on-stage and/or back-stage fun and excitement./*