[Capdist-announce] Singing Anchors Holiday in Salem

Jay Kerr fortsalem at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 11:43:27 EST 2015

THE SINGING ANCHORS PRESENT
ANNUAL HOLIDAY SHOW IN SALEM

SALEM, NY — Television newscasters Benita Zahn and Jessica Layton will be joined by former CBS6 anchor, Jerry Gretzinger, Sunday afternoon, November 29, for a 2 PM matinee performance of The Singing Anchors’ Holiday Show at Washington County’s Fort Salem Theater.

Formed in 2009, when Ms. Zahn invited her friends Gretzinger and Layton to join her in the Fort’s cabaret space, the Singing Anchors have performed throughout the Capital Region, reprising the performances that originate in Salem. Productions as varied as The Singing Anchors Go Hollywood, The Singing Anchors On Broadway, No Boundaries (featuring Layton and Zahn without Gretzinger), and From San José to Broadway and Bacharach have developed material for special benefit programs or full-fledged presentations at major area venues. Musical direction, arrangements, and accompaniment are provided by former Manhattan composer/vocal coach and Fort Salem artistic director, Jay Kerr.

“Many folks have come to know the theater from giving in to their curiosity to see if these news reporters could actually sing,” says Kerr. “Actually, I initially booked them without knowing. What a relief and pleasant surprise to discover performing talents at least equal to their television skills. From very simple arrangements in our first show, The Singing Anchors grew to master intricate harmonies and display impressive ranges.”

Benita Zahn majored in theatre in college and has appeared in local theatrical productions since arriving at channel thirteen years ago. Jerry Gretzinger acted in community theatre and in high school, directed and encouraged by his father, who met Jerry’s mother while they were acting in a college play. Jessica Layton was singing in radio commercials as a teen, and, while at Syracuse University, was a favorite pick to sing the National Anthem at their epic sporting events.

The Singing Anchors’ Holiday Show features secular Christmas favorites (including “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” and “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire”) and, this year, a brand new Hanukkah offering, a tribute to what Ms. Zahn calls “my people.” Benita and Jessica take turns touting their family holiday traditions in “My Favorite Things.” The trio sings “Jingle Bells” with the original 1854 lyrics and visits Francis Church’s 1897 letter in The New York Sun in which he assures a seven-year-old that, “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.”

Jerry Gretzinger, Jessica Layton and Benita Zahn are The Singing Anchors, presenting The Singing Anchors’ Holiday Show for one show only, Sunday, November 29, at 2 PM, at Fort Salem Theater. Dessert and coffee are included in the $25 tickets, and reservations are necessary. More information is available at fortsalemtheater.com <http://fortsalemtheater.com/> or by calling the theater box office at (518) 854-9200.
Jay Kerr
jay at fortsalemtheater.com
518.854-9200
Text: 212.582.5118