[Capdist-announce] Opening 4/29 at Confetti Stage: Elephant's Graveyard

Confetti Stage confettistageinc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 18:13:55 EDT 2016

Confetti Stage presents an evening at the Circus

THE AIR and THE FAT LADY
by Julie Demers

-and-

ELEPHANT'S GRAVEYARD
by George Brant
directed by Linda D. Shirey
assistant directed by Patricia Keister

All performances held at our home theater at
The Albany Masonic Hall
67 Corning Place, downtown Albany

April 29-30 & May 5-7 at 7:30pm
May 1 & May 8 at 2:00pm

“Friday I tasted life. It was a vast morsel. A Circus passed the house-

still I feel the red in my mind though the drums are out.”

- Emily Dickinson

It was recently announced that in May of 2016, Ringling Brothers and Barnum
& Bailey Circus will retire all of its touring elephants after years of
concerns raised over animal abuse. This phasing out of the elephant
performers will occur a full year and a half earlier than previously
planned. This spring, Confetti Stage takes a timely look at one of the
darkest chapters in mankind’s history with elephants in the regional
premiere of Elephant’s Graveyard. Directed by Linda D. Shirey, this
immersive, unconventional production of George Brant’s heartbreaking tale
of violence, spectacle, and mankind’s most tragic insecurities will change
the way you experience theater just as surely as it changes the way you
think of the circus.

One hundred years ago, a tiny town called Erwin, Tennessee saw fit to
execute Big Mary, the “largest living land animal on earth” for the crime
of murder. Set in September of 1916, Elephant’s Graveyard combines history
and legend, as members of Sparks’ Circus and the citizens of Erwin recount
the fateful day the elephant rode into town. Through the heated and often
conflicting perspectives of two communities, we see a morning rich with joy
and anticipation quickly turn into a night full of fear and hatred, and the
biggest, most beloved employee of Sparks’ Circus being sentenced to death.
With a poetic, elliptical script that evokes the salty crunch of peanuts,
the tickle of sawdust, and the chilling roar of a crowd that came to see a
SHOW,  Elephant’s Graveyard will excite the audience as only the circus
can, and haunt it, as only true tragedy does. This exciting night of
performance will also begin with two short, circus-themed monologues: “The
Air” and “The Fat Lady,” written by award-winning local playwright, Julie
Demers!

Elephant’s Graveyard features: David Braucher, Lucy Breyer, Kathleen
Engelhardt, Spencer Flottman, Kat Fronheiser, Cory Haines, Stephen Henel,
Vivian Hwang, Kasey Kenyon, Lee Lattimer, Talon McLaughlin, John Nickles,
and William Sanderson.

General admission $15

Student admission $10

4-show FlexTix $50

Tickets will be available at the door or may be reserved by calling the
Confetti Stage Box Office at (518)460-1167.
Online tickets available by going to
http://www.confettistage.org/buy-tickets
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.confettistage.org%2Fbuy-tickets&h=SAQGbbfHb&enc=AZM91b3fNvx6ZNAnSLkEBMgVcUtaFyvb4vjJbxpgNxWjF3GWP16nimwBdvbSi1LiF6I&s=1>

For updates on the production, check out our blog at
confettistage.org/directors-notes
or find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ConfettiStageInc

--
Confetti Stage, Inc