[Capdist-announce] Nacre Dance in Concert at the Spa Little Theater in Saratoga Springs

Beth Fecteau Beth at NacreDance.com
Mon Feb 8 15:30:33 EST 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Nacre In Concert Promises a Celebration of Collaboration

On Saturday, March 6, 2016, Nacre in Concert, the premiere performance of the Nacre Dance Company 2015-16 season, will include a host of new works, featured choreographers, spoken word, and a new piece by Nacre Artistic Director, Beth Fecteau, featuring new music written and performed by Ria Curley and Chuck Lamb.

"The March show has always been our flagship performance," says Fecteau. "It's always been a culmination of the season leading up to it, and this year is no different." That doesn't mean the audience should expect the same-old show. "It's probably the most ambitious show we've ever attempted. There will be pieces from four different choreographers, renowned poet Marilyn McCabe providing spoken word interludes, and a new musical composition commissioned by Nacre,surrounding the theme of 'atmosphere'. It's all part of our new mission to collaborate with other artistic mediums to encompass a theme and create an experience for our audience ."

This year's "So You Think You Can Choreograph!?" winner, Kailey McCrudden, who's win secured her role as this year's guest choreographer will present a new piece for the show. In addition, former 'So You Think You Can Choreograph!?" finalists Brett Cox and Christian Serrano will also be presenting new works."At Nacre, we love the classics, but are curious about work being created by talented young artists  making their mark in the  future of modern dance today. I am pleased to offer them this opportunity to feature their work. "

The theme for the evening "Atmosphere" came not quite from planning, but from the realization that all the works being presented seemed to carry that notion as a common thread. It started with Fecteau's own piece, "Seasons". "The idea for this piece started with a short movement phrase that I created to the familiar jazz song 'Summertime' for my students at SUNY Adirondack. While wanting to  expand the movement  and finding the jazz music enjoyable to move to , I sought out more jazz music with to accompany the  underlying modern dance/ jazz infused dance  to travel us through the seasons. I then met jazz musicians Chuck Lamb (jazz/fusion pianist/composer, Brubeck Brothers Quartet, Dry Jack, etc.)  and Ria Curley (smooth R&B songwriter/singer, Warner/Chappell Music Publishing) in my travels and fell in love with their sound.  I normally don't work with jazz music but the collaboration has been easy!  The music traverses so naturally through the seasons.  Having Ria and Chuck accompany us reflects what we know of live jazz musical performances  in which the audience is very much part of the music! I'm excited for my dancers to have this personal experience with them."

Local poet Marilyn McCabe will also offer her talents in the form of spoken word interludes between the pieces. "In the past," says Fecteau, "we've always come out on stage to  talk about each piece. While informative, it was all very academic. This year we are letting the work stand on its own, and the feeling will be of a much more well-rounded evening of dance entertainment."

Nacre In Concert will be presented March 5 and 6 at the Spa Little Theater, Saratoga State Park. Saturday's performance will start 7:30pm, and the Sunday show begins at 2:30pm. Tickets are $20 ($15 for students and seniors). Tickets are available by visiting www.nacredance.com<http://www.nacredance.com/> or by calling 518-817-3833.  For questions or interview requests, please contact Beth Fecteau, Artistic Director, at beth at nacredance.com<mailto:beth at nacredance.com>.

You can check put a special video preview Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX8h68sJKno&feature=youtu.be