[Capdist-announce] Saratoga Shakespeare Celebrates 16th Season with 2 Shows in Congress Park, Saratoga UPDATED

David M. Girard david at davidmgirard.com
Wed Jun 22 16:12:51 EDT 2016

DATE
6.20.16

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, CONTACT:

NEWS RELEASE

Barbara Opitz, Executive Director

518.428.2703 or 518.587.2166

bopitz at skidmore.edu

David Girard, Associate Artistic Director

518.528.1677

david at davidmgirard.com

For Immediate
Release---------------------------------------------------------------------

Saratoga Shakespeare celebrates Shakespeare¹s 400th and SUMMER 2016 with 2
shows in Congress Park

Saratoga Shakespeare Company is celebrating our 16th summer season of free
outdoor theater in beautiful Congress Park in downtown Saratoga Springs, NY
and we¹ve added more additional programming in our continuing partnership
with Skidmore College! Cyrano OPENS JULY 19th. This Free Production in
Congress Park Runs through JULY 30th. We will also be offering another Free
Production of the Bard¹s timeless tale, Romeo and Juliet, in Congress Park,
OPENING AUGUST 2nd and running through AUGUST 7th.

SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY, May 11, 2015 -­ Saratoga Shakespeare Company has
brought years of free professional summer productions to Saratoga Springs
since 2000. This year, we are pleased to announce an expanded summer season.
For the first time, our company will present two productions and our first
three-week summer season in Saratoga¹s beautiful Congress Park. This summer
is also celebration of Love, Laughs and Swordplay as part of Shakespeare¹s
400th Legacy Anniversary Year <http://www.shakespeare400.org/> .

Saratoga Shakespeare is thrilled to welcome back founding artistic director
William Finlay to direct Cyrano, a new translation of Edmond Rostand¹s
Cyrano de Bergerac by Michael Hollinger and adapted by Michael Hollinger and
Aaron Posner. Cyrano is the first non-Shakespeare classical play to be
performed by the company, and celebrates one of theatre¹s most memorable
characters and a beloved and romantic story. This will be the first play of
Saratoga Shakespeare¹s expanded three-week, two-production Congress Park
season. Cyrano will be performed on the Alfred Z. Solomon Stage in historic
Congress Park in the heart of Saratoga Springs. The production opens on
Tuesday, July 19th and runs through Saturday, July 30th. Performances are at
6:00 PM Tuesday through Saturday, and 3:00 PM on Sunday.

Saratoga Shakespeare¹s second Congress Park production is another beloved
romance, and one of the company¹s most requested of Shakespeare¹s plays,
Romeo & Juliet. David Girard, who directed both critical hits The Merry
Wives of Windsor and Macbeth, and is a frequent guest actor with the
company, will direct the production. Romeo & Juliet opens on Tuesday, August
2nd and runs through Sunday, August 7th. Performances are at 6:00 PM Tuesday
through Saturday, and 3:00 PM on Sunday.

The Saratoga Shakespeare Company employs members of Actors¹ Equity
Association, the union of professional actors and stage managers, as well as
several very talented non-union professionals, and members of their select
internship program. Many cast members will be featured in both summer
productions.  The excellent casts include some returning company members and
several new faces. The company is thrilled to welcome back Wesley Broulik in
the title role of Cyrano.  Wesley was the hilarious Don Armado in last
summer¹s production of Love¹s Labour¹s Lost. He has performed off-Broadway
and regionally, in television and in feature films. Saratoga Shakespeare
Company is thrilled to welcome a new cast member, Wynn Harmon, with
extensive credits on Broadway, off-Broadway, The Kennedy Center,
Glimmerglass Opera, and many regional theatre companies. Returning
professional cast members include several area favorites, including
Associate Artistic Director Tim Dugan, Yvonne Perry, John Romeo, and David
Baecker. Saratoga Shakespeare is proud to note that many of our Equity cast
members are also distinguished teachers at colleges and universities
throughout the region and country and serve as mentors to the company¹s
interns.

In addition, our fabulous intern company will be performing a travelling
production of Much Ado About Nothing, running from August 3rd ­ August 6th
in multiple locations throughout Saratoga Springs. Times and Dates are TBD.

The Saratoga Shakespeare Company is grateful to Skidmore College for their
generous grant, and generous support from The Office of Special Programs and
the Department of Theater. The company is thrilled to be the recipient of a
Community Arts Grant from Saratoga Arts as well as an Alfred Z Solomon
Grant.

The Company certainly hopes that someone can be made available to review
both productions early in their runs. We have been extremely grateful for
your past coverage of our productions, as well as your overall commitment to
solid arts coverage. Our actors and directors are available for interviews
for pre-show features. Please contact David Girard at 518-528-1677
(david at davidmgirard.com) to arrange for any interviews.

Thanks for all of you coverage and support over the years. For further
information, visit www.saratogashakespeare.com
<http://www.saratogashakespeare.com>  or Saratoga Shakespeare¹s Facebook
page at www.facebook.com/SaratogaShakespeare
<http://www.facebook.com/SaratogaShakespeare> , or you can contact Associate
Artistic Director, David Girard, at 518-528-1677 (david at davidmgirard.com),
or our Executive Director, Barbara Opitz, at 518-587-2166
(bopitz at skidmore.edu).

ENDS