[Capdist-announce] PRESS RELEASE: WAM Theatre & Rachel Siegel Present "Special" March 18-20

Gail Burns gail at wamtheatre.com
Wed Mar 9 10:45:49 EST 2016

March 9, 2016

Contact: Gail Burns, Marketing and Publicity Associate

www.wamtheatre.com <http://www.wamtheatre.com/#_blank>

pr at wamtheatre.com; 518.243.9627

Press Photos can be found at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wamtheatre/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/wamtheatre/sets/72157648698789976/#_blank>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WAM Theatre Announces Special Collaboration with Rachel Siegel

Work-in-Progress Showing March 18-20 at The Unicorn Theatre

LENOX, Mass. (March 9, 2016) — WAM Theatre is co-producing a workshop
production of Special  with playwright and actress Rachel Siegel at the
Berkshire Theatre Group’s Unicorn Theatre in Stockbridge March 18-20.
Created and performed by Siegel, and based on personal experience and
interviews with mothers of children with special needs, Special follows one
woman's journey after she discovers she is pregnant with a child with Down
syndrome.

WAM Advisory Board member Jayne Atkinson will direct this funny,
unstinting, and ultimately inspiring look into the complexities and
possibilities of love. “I am very honored to be part of Special,” Atkinson
said. “It is a humorous, poignant, at times dark journey - an eye of the
needle experience that will move us all deeply.”

“I did a lot of writing during my pregnancy with [our son with Down
Syndrome], and knew that I would do something with it eventually,” Siegel
explained. “I wanted to broaden the story and interview other mothers, but
I really didn’t know any other parents of special needs children. Then I
found this wonderful organization called Whole Children in Hadley, started
by mothers who knew they needed this kind of group for their own children
and for themselves. There I met wonderful women, wonderful mothers, who
wanted to do the best for their children. And they agreed to be interviewed
by me.”

Performances of Special are scheduled for Friday, March 18 and Saturday,
March 19 at 7:30 pm, and on Sunday, March 20 at 2 pm at the Berkshire
Theatre Group’s Unicorn Theatre located at 6 East Street in Stockbridge,
MA. A portion of box office proceeds from the March 19 performance will be
donated to the Berkshire Festival of Women Writers, and a portion of the
proceeds from the March 18 & 20 performance will be donated to Whole
Children, and CATA. All tickets are $20 and can be purchased by calling
413-997-4444 or visiting: http://www.wamtheatre.com/special/

AT A GLANCE

March 18-20

Special

Workshop Production/Play in Development

Created and Performed by Rachel Siegel

Directed by Jayne Atkinson

Co-produced by Rachel Siegel and WAM Theatre

March 18-20

on the Larry Vaber Stage in the Berkshire Theatre Group’s Unicorn Theatre,
Stockbridge, MA

Based on personal experience and inspired by interviews with mothers of
children with special needs, Special follows one woman's journey after she
discovers she is pregnant with a child with Down syndrome. Special is a
funny, unstinting, and ultimately inspiring look into the complexities and
possibilities of love.

A portion of box office proceeds will be donated to the following
organizations:

March 19: Berkshire Festival of Women Writers

March 18 and 20: Whole Children and CATA

Dates/Times:

Friday, March 18 @ 7:30

Saturday, March 19 @ 7:30 * Special benefit for BFWW

Sunday, March 20 @ 2:00

Tickets:

$20

Tickets available through the WAM website.

Cast and Creative Team:

ABOUT Rachel Siegel

Rachel has performed widely in the Berkshires, New York, and abroad in
theatre at venues such as Stageworks (Hudson); Shakespeare & Co.;
Williamstown Theatre Festival; Berkshire Theatre Festival. She trained at
RADA in the UK and performed there at The New End Theatre, Birmingham Rep,
and The Royal Court. Her TV work includes Chappelle’s Show (3 episodes), Wit
(HBO), and BBC Drama. Writing credits include Von Trapp Family Inn
(premiered Boston Women in Comedy Festival 2013); So Sing Already! at the
New End, London; I Heart Cory Booker (WAM/MOPCO 24-hour fest); Callback.
Funnycryhappy.net.

ABOUT Jayne Atkinson

Jayne has enjoyed a long and varied career as an actress, wife and mother.
She has appeared in regional theatre, off-Broadway, and Broadway, and
counts two Drama Desk, an Outer Critics Circle and Tony nominations to her
name. She is best known on television for her long-running roles in
24, Criminal
Minds, and the current Netflix original series House of Cards, and on film
for her roles in Free Willy, and Free Willy 2. Directing credits
include Motherhood
Out Loud and Can You Hear Me, Baby?, both for the BFWW. She runs Jadana
Productions, which specializes in entertainment development.
www.jayne-atkinson.com.

OUR SEASON SPONSORS

Our 2016 sponsors include the  Brabson Library & Educational Foundation,
Dylandale Foundation, Feigenbaum Foundation, Greylock Federal Credit Union,
International Schools Theatre Association, Jon Gotterer DMD, Massachusetts
Cultural Council, Nina Molin MD, No. Six Depot Roastery and Café, RBC
Wealth Management, Petricca Industries, and Regina Burgio.

WAM Theatre is also supported in part by grants from the Lenox,
Alford-Egremont, Pittsfield Cultural Council, Cultural Council of Northern
Berkshires , Washington Cultural Council, Monterey Cultural Council,
Stockbridge Cultural Council, West Stockbridge Cultural Council, Richmond
Cultural Council – local agencies that are supported by the Massachusetts
Cultural Council, a state agency.

ABOUT WAM THEATRE

Based in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, WAM Theatre is Where Arts and
Activism Meet. The company was co-founded in 2010 by Canadian director,
actor, educator, and producer Kristen van Ginhoven. WAM’s vision is to
create opportunity for women and girls through the mission of theatre as
philanthropy.

Inspired by the book Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for
Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, WAM donates a
portion of the proceeds from its theatrical events to organizations that
benefit women and girls.

Over the past six years, WAM Theatre has donated more than $21,000 to eight
nonprofit organizations and provided paid work to more than 175 theatre
artists. In addition to the main stage productions and special events, WAM
Theatre’s activities include a comprehensive educational outreach program
and the Fresh Takes Play Reading Series. For more information, visit
www.WAMTheatre.com

# # #

--
Gail M. Burns