[Capdist-announce] Saratoga Shakespeare to open The Winter's Tale and Twelfth Night!

David Girard david at davidmgirard.com
Tue Jul 25 11:46:49 EDT 2017

​
 SSC TWT - Press 1.jpg
<https://drive.google.com/a/davidmgirard.com/file/d/0Bxc8P_ANwUR8RDFOazF3UEFRT28/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 SSC TWT - Press 2.jpg
<https://drive.google.com/a/davidmgirard.com/file/d/0Bxc8P_ANwUR8Rlc1R1UyZFM5Z2M/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 SSC TWT - Press 3.jpg
<https://drive.google.com/a/davidmgirard.com/file/d/0Bxc8P_ANwUR8bnFCTXNjNTdWU00/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 SSC TWT - Press 4.jpg
<https://drive.google.com/a/davidmgirard.com/file/d/0Bxc8P_ANwUR8WU5iNl8yM2N2em8/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 SSC TWT - Press 5.jpg
<https://drive.google.com/a/davidmgirard.com/file/d/0Bxc8P_ANwUR8b3lwbnpPdmRxWE0/view?usp=drive_web>
​*Date: *8.25.17

*for further information,
contact:
*

Barbara Opitz, Executive Director
518.428.2703 or 518.587.2166
bopitz at skidmore.edu

David Girard, Associate Artistic Director
518.528.1677
david at davidmgirard.com

* For Immediate Release*

SARATOGA SHAKESPEARE COMPANY CONTINUES ITS SEASON OF MAGIC WITH *THE
WINTER’S TALE*

*Free production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream runs through July 29th with
The Winter’s Tale opening August 1st *

*Community Outreach Production of Twelfth Night opens August 2nd *

*SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY, July 25, 2017 –* The Saratoga Shakespeare Company
continues its celebration of romance and magic with *The Winter’s Tale*,
opening on Tuesday, August 1st and running through Saturday, August 5th.
All performances will be in Congress Park, Saratoga Springs, on the Alfred
Z. Solomon Stage, at 6 pm. Admission is always free of charge, and Congress
Park is entirely accessible. Both young and old, as well as family groups,
are strongly encouraged to attend – with or without picnics – for what has
become a beloved summer tradition in Saratoga. As Saratoga’s longest
running professional theatre company, our two main-stage productions
feature several members of Actors’ Equity Association, the stage actors’
professional union. As we prepare to open *The Winter’s Tale*, *A Midsummer
Night’s Dream* with continue through July 29th.

Last season the Company presented two productions in Congress Park for the
first time and our audience responded with record attendance. This year’s
second production of *The Winter’s Tale* is helmed by the talented Liz
Carlson-Guerin. Liz is a director and dramaturge who specializes in New
Play Development, Classic Theatre for Contemporary Audiences, Physical &
Devised Theatre and Community Engagement. She served for eight years as an
associate director and company member for West Philadelphia’s renowned
Curio Theatre Company, and her 2016 Philadelphia premiere of *The Birds* by
Conor MacPherson for Curio was Barrymore Recommended. One of the last plays
written by Shakespeare, *The Winter’s Tale* is a timeless and enchanting
tale of love, loss, jealousy and redemption. A masterful blend of tragedy
and comedy with a most surprising ending, the play features the theatre’s
most intriguing stage direction – “*Exit, pursued by bear*.”

Additionally, the Saratoga Shakespeare Young Theatre Professional Company
will offer our Community Outreach production of *Twelfth Night*, directed
by company member Douglas Seldin. Seldin serves as Assistant Director of
Education and Training for the company. Performances will take place during
the first week of August in multiple locations, including Congress Park and
Skidmore College’s Suzanne Corbet Thomas Amphitheater. These college-aged
aspiring theatre artists have trained extensively and are also performing
alongside our professional actors in *A Midsummer Night’s Dream*. Twelfth
Night will be presented in three Saratoga locations: Wednesday, August 2nd
at 10AM at the Skidmore College-Amphitheatre (rain performance in JKB
Theatre), Friday, August 4th at 11:30am in the Saratoga EOC @ Jefferson
Terrace and Saturday, August 5th at 1pm in Historic Congress Park.

The Saratoga Shakespeare Company is grateful to Skidmore College for their
generosity, as well as continued support from Skidmore’s Office of Special
Programs and the Department of Theater. The Company is thrilled to be the
recipient of a Community Arts Grant from Saratoga Arts as well as an Alfred
Z Solomon Grant.

Since 2000, our productions have become a beloved Saratoga tradition, and
many regional children have grown up watching Saratoga Shakespeare every
summer. The Company has always taken great pride in presenting
Shakespeare’s work with great clarity and continues to develop a visually
arresting and audience immersive aesthetic. This year will be no different.

The Company certainly hopes that someone can be made available to review *The
Winter’s Tale*. We have been extremely grateful for your past coverage of
our productions, as well as your overall commitment to solid arts coverage.
For further information, visit www.saratogashakespeare.com or Saratoga
Shakespeare’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SaratogaShakespeare, or you
can contact our Executive Director, Barbara Opitz, at 518-587-2166 (
bopitz at skidmore.edu) or our Associate Artistic Director of PR and Audience
Engagement, David Girard, at 518-528-1677 (david at davidmgirard.com).

​

​