[Capdist-announce] Please post: Theater Voices announces its 31st season!

Tony Pallone tonypallone at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:35:59 EDT 2018

*Theater Voices proudly announces its program for 2018-19, our 31st
anniversary season of free professional staged readings. All shows will be
presented at Steamer No. 10 Theater <http://www.steamer10theatre.org>, 500
Western Avenue, Albany. Each production runs over the course of a single
weekend, with performance times of Fridays at 8pm; Saturdays at 3pm and
8pm; and Sundays at 3pm.*

*Oct. 12-14, 2018: First up is Marjorie Prime by Jordan Harrison, directed
by Krysta Dennis. With help from an intriguingly innovative technology in a
future not far from our present, 85-year-old Marjorie examines her past,
sometimes replacing her realities with idealized memories. Jordan
Harrison’s thoughtful, spare, subtly shattering work, a 2015 Pulitzer
finalist, explores the ways our humanity is shaped and warped by the
mysterious ebbs and flows of memory. What would we remember, and what would
we forget, given the power of authorship?*

*Feb.15-17, 2019:* Directed by Jacqueline Donnaruma, our second play is *Circle
Mirror Transformation* by Annie Baker, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for
Drama in 2014. In an artsy small town, an unlikely collection of strangers
decides to sign up for Marty's "Adult Creative Drama" class. As their
relationships develop over the course of the summer, the awkward, seemingly
silly theater games they play generate real-life drama. “By the play’s end
we seem to see to the very bottom of these souls, and feel how the
artificial intimacy of the acting class has shaped their lives in
substantial ways.” — New York Times

*April 12-14, 2019:* Our third play, *The Subject Was Roses* by Frank D.
Gilroy, directed by Brian Sheldon, is a Pulitzer Prize and Tony
Award-winning drama that tells the story of Timmy Cleary, a young,
idealistic soldier who returns from World War II to his parents’ New York
apartment to find their marriage in shambles. Reminiscing, the family
attempts to recapture the past and return to a life that never really was.
Timmy discovers that he's left the battlefields of Europe only to become a
prisoner of his parents' war of regret and recrimination.

*May 17-19, 2019:* The season will close out with *Chapatti *by Christian
O’Reilly, directed by Patricia Bunce. Romance is a distant memory for two
lonely animal lovers living in Dublin. When forlorn Dan and his dog
Chapatti cross paths with the amiable Betty and her nineteen cats, an
unexpected spark sets in motion the journey of two people tenuously
rediscovering the importance of human companionship. The play’s deft mix of
heartache, despair and tender comedy leaves one cheering for these two
characters’ hard-won moment of happiness.

*Theater Voices is...* a company of dedicated actors and directors who
present both new and classic works with the specific goal of emphasizing
the richness of the playwright's language. Each production is a
fully-performed staged reading, with minimal scenery and simple performance
attire.

*All performances are free.* Theater Voices is a not-for-profit
organization under IRS 501(c)3 and relies primarily on the support of its
generous audiences for funding. Your contribution helps us to keep free
professional theatre alive and well in the Capital District!

*For more information, *visit us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/Theater-Voices-157909307589820> or our website
<http://www.theatervoices.org>.