[Capdist-announce] SMALL change in TSC press release - a sponsor changed their name... THANKS!! Photos attached

Carl Ritchie taconicstage at aol.com
Wed Jul 25 12:04:42 EDT 2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Carl Ritchie 518-325-1234
Includes calendar listings

TSC Announces August 2018 Show about Lillian Hellman

Copake Falls, NY – Local summer theatercompany Taconic Stage Co. (TSC) presents Lillian,a play about Lillian Hellman by William Luce, starring Diedre Bollinger and directedby TSC founder and Artistic Director Carl Ritchie.

Based on theautobiographical writing of the hard-living playwright whose worksinclude The Little Foxes, The Children’s Hour, and hermemoir, Pentimento, dramatist Luce creates an intense, intriguing,and intimate portrait of a woman who was often caustic and controversial butnever dull.

Set in the waitingroom of a New York hospital, as she maintains a vigil for her longtime love, novelistDashiell Hammett, Hellman remembers the people and incidents that shaped herlife. From her headstrong girlhood in New Orleans and New York, through herexciting and tempestuous years with Hammett, to her achievements on Broadwayand in Hollywood, she recalls those who helped her gain her burning socialconsciousness – something that brought her into conflict with thepowers-that-be, most notably, Senator Joseph McCarthy’s House Un-AmericanActivities Committee. During that hearing – and in the play – we hear herfamous line, “I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year'sfashion.”

Since its 2009 founding, TSC has delighted audiences eachsummer with shows such as the hilarious, original send-up of growing older I Know I Came in Here for Something… anda spoof of the local vs. weekender mentality The Real (Desperate) Housewives of Columbia County, both writtenand directed by Ritchie. For several recent summers, reprises of his musicalrevues had them leaping to their feet at both Mac-Haydn Theatre and the TheaterBarn (as well as theatres in NYC and Las Vegas).

Another TSC tradition has been presenting one-woman showsin the beautiful gothic revival church in Copake Falls. They have featuredEnglish actress Leda Hodgson; Canadian actresses Susan Fullerton and ElizabethRichardson; NYC actress Margot Avery and – starting last season – acclaimed localactress Diedre Bollinger.

Bollinger and Ritchie have worked together many times beginningwith a production of Grace and Gloriewhile he was Artistic Director at the Copake Theatre Company over ten yearsago. Bollinger has appeared every single year since TSC came into being. Shebrought down the house again and again in Ritchie’s musical revues and excelledin dramatic roles such as playing Zelda Fitzgerald in last season’s TSCproduction  The Last Flapper, also written by William Luce.

Playwright Luce wrote his Broadway and London success The Belle of Amherst forJulie Harris, who won her fifth Tony Award for Best Actress for her portrayalof Emily Dickinson. Luce's Broadway hit Barrymore starredChristopher Plummer as legendary actor John Barrymore. Plummer won a Tony Awardfor Best Actor. Other plays include Lucifer's Child, Brontë,My Business Is To Love, Chanel and Nijinsky.

There will be a free sneak preview of Lillian on Copake Falls Day – August 18 at2 PM - courtesy of TSC’s season sponsors, Herringtons,Inc and The Kneller Agency. Taconic Stage Company is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit.

Performances will be held at St. John in theWilderness Church, 261 Route 344, Copake Falls, NY, on Aug. 24 and 25 at 7p.m., and Aug. 18, 19 and 26 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $20 (orpay what you can at the door) and can be purchased online at https://lillian.brownpapertickets.comor through our website www.taconicstage.com or by calling 800-838-3006. Or always available at the door.

(Photo credit: Michele Midori Fillion. Pictured is Diedre Bollinger as Lillian Hellman)

###

Calendarlisting:

Copake Falls, NY: Taconic Stage Company presents Lillian, a play about Lillian Hellman byWilliam Luce, starring Diedre Bollinger and directed by TSC founder andArtistic Director Carl Ritchie. St. John in the WildernessChurch, 261 Route 344, Copake Falls, NY: on Aug. 24 and 25 at 7 p.m., andAug. 18, 19 and 26 at 2 p.m.  Tickets $20(or pay what you can at the door), available at https://lillian.brownpapertickets.com/ or www.taconicstage.com  or by calling 800-838-3006. Or alwaysavailableat the door.

Carl Ritchie
taconicstage at aol.com
www.TaconicStage.com