[Capdist-announce] PRESS RELEASE: WAM Theatre Makes Record Donation to Two Non-Profit Beneficiaries

Gail Burns gail at wamtheatre.com
Tue Oct 30 11:09:31 EDT 2018

October 30, 2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Gail Burns, Marketing and Publicity Associate

www.wamtheatre.com

pr at wamtheatre.com; 518.243.9627

Press Photos can be found at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wamtheatre/albums/72157672509352247

WAM Theatre Makes Record Donation to Two Non-Profit Beneficiaries

LENOX, MA [October 30, 2017] — Every year, WAM Theatre donates a portion of
the box office proceeds from their fall Main Stage production to agencies
that benefit women and girls locally, nationally, or internationally. The
success of ANN enabled the company to present their largest donation ever -
$15,000 split evenly between its 14th and 15th beneficiaries, The Denise
Kaley Fund and the Women’s Fund of Western Massachusetts’ 2018 Leadership
Institute for Political and Public Impact (LIPPI). Each organization will
receive $7,500.

“The Women’s Fund of Western Massachusetts is beyond thrilled to receive a
donation of $7,500 which will fund two full scholarships for Berkshire
County women to attend our life-changing Leadership Institute for Political
and Public Impact (LIPPI), as well other impact and leadership training for
Berkshire women,” exclaimed Donna Haghighat, CEO of the Women’s Fund. “Now,
more than ever, we need women’s voices and representation in all aspects of
leadership, and our nonpartisan LIPPI program provides women with the tools
to step into that leadership.”

"This extraordinarily generous gift from WAM opens up three major
possibilities for us,” Barbara Bonner, Fund Advisor and Co-Founder of The
Denise Kaley Fund explained. “We can give more gifts than last year. We now
have the flexibility to make our grants even more generous than before. And
more people will know about and be able to access our services because of
the increased profile of our fund during the run of ANN. This gift truly
helped us take a big step forward! On behalf of all the women we serve, we
are so grateful.”

A one-woman tour-de-force, ANN is a hilarious and spirited portrait of Ann
Richards, legendary Governor of Texas. Written by award-winning actress and
writer Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men) and starring Jayne Atkinson (House
of Cards, Madam Secretary),  ANN  was a co-production with the Dorset
Theatre Festival where it ran for four sold-out performances in Dorset over
Labor Day weekend. ANN then continued on to break all of WAM’s ticket sales
records during its two week run at the Tina Packer Playhouse in Lenox, MA,
in October.

“I am so deeply honored to be part of WAM’s mission to combine theatre and
philanthropy and support women supporting women and girls.” says Jayne
Atkinson, star of ANN. “Doing ANN has been part of my civic duty to give
back and inspire.”

The critics were impressed.

Passion is on full display in a masterly performance by Jayne Atkinson. -
Jeffrey Borak, The Berkshire Eagle

ANN is an affectionate, stimulating, often hilarious, shoot-from-the-hip
tonic for our times. - Chris Rohmann, The Valley Advocate

"Kristen van Ginhoven has delivered a superb two hours of theater with this
play by a woman, for a woman, about a woman that pleases women and men
alike." - J. Peter Bergman, The Berkshire Edge & Berkshire Bright Focus

And audience members are raving!

Great play. Great production. WAM has really struck a chord with this
timely play.

I was on the edge of my seat laughing or cheering or deeply moved through
the show. I’ll lay bets on this going to New York!!!

Wonderful afternoon of celebrating women’s power, compassion, and BIG
humor. Thank you WAM!!

We were all so impressed with all aspects of the production. It really
sparked some meaningful conversation.

In keeping with WAM Theatre’s double philanthropic mission, the check
presentations were made following the closing performance on Sunday,
October 28.  Since its founding in 2010, WAM Theatre has now donated more
than $56,500 to 15 non-profit organizations.

The Denise Kaley Fund stands alone in their mission to help women living
with cancer  in Berkshire County pay for the cost of life’s necessities as
they undergo treatment and heal: heating oil, groceries, car payments and
repairs, rent, mortgage payments, babysitting and medical expenses not
covered by insurance, to name just a few. WAM’s donation will provide
emergency grants for women with cancer in Berkshire County.

Since 1997, the Women’s Fund has been supporting women and girls in the
four counties of western Mass through grant making and leadership programs.
Their Leadership Institute for Political and Public Impact, or LIPPI, is a
non-partisan initiative that provides women with the tools, mentors, and
confidence they need to become our region’s community leaders and elected
officials. LIPPI trains women in the nuts and bolts of impacting policy
from a citizen perspective, and develops leadership confidence through 11
intensive workshops held in over 10 months. WAM’s donation will provide
scholarships for Berkshire participants in the 2018 LIPPI cohort and other
impact and leadership training for Berkshire women.

The 2018 beneficiaries were chosen after a rigorous selection process,
including a request for proposals and site visits, overseen by a committee
at WAM consisting of Kristen van Ginhoven, Margaret Fluhr (WAM Volunteer),
Wendy Healey (WAM Board of Directors), and Lia Russell-Self (WAM Artist).

In addition, WAM hosted a vibrant post-show panel discussion focusing on
Women in Politics with Tahirah Amatul-Wadud, Stephanie Bosley and former
Massachusetts Governor Jane Swift. Jayne Atkinson and Kristen van Ginhoven
held a lively talk-back following a special Thursday matinee attended by
students from area schools.

A third panel - Integrating Activism into Artistic Choices moderated by
Dina Janis, the Artistic Director of the Dorset Theatre Festival (our
co-producers for ANN) and featuring Amanda Rafuse, the Director of Artistic
Outreach for Northern Stage Company, Daniel Elihu Kramer, Artistic Director
of the Chester Theatre Company, Lee Mikeska Gardner, Artistic Director of
The Nora Theatre Company, and Kristen van Ginhoven - was scheduled after
our October 27 matinee performance that unfortunately had to be cancelled
due to a local power outage.

The Denise Kaley Fund and the LIPPI Program of the Women’s Fund of Western
Massachusetts are WAM’s 14th and 15th beneficiaries. Past recipients
include: the Soldier On Women’s Program, the Berkshire Immigrant Center, Suzi
Banks Baum's New Illuminations initiative in Gyumri, Armenia, Hands in
Outreach, Sisters for Peace, Mother of Peace Orphanage in Illovo, South
Africa, the Rites of Passage and Empowerment Program for Girls (ROPE),
Shout Out Loud Productions, Berkshire United Way’s Teen Pregnancy
Prevention Initiative, Edna’s Hospital in Somaliland, The Women’s Fund of
Western Massachusetts, and Women for Women International.

“It is phenomenal to end our ninth season with this record-breaking
donation.” said Kristen van Ginhoven, Artistic Director of WAM Theatre. “We
are thrilled our audiences enjoyed ANN so much! We are excited to share
plans for our 10th anniversary season soon!”

OUR SEASON SPONSORS

Our 2018 sponsors include Adams Community Bank, Annie Selke, Baystate
Financial, Berkshire Bank Foundation, Berkshire Hand to Shoulder Center,
Berkshire Magazine, Berkshire Sterile Manufacturing, Blue Q, Brabson
Library & Educational Foundation, Canyon Ranch, The Charles H. Hall
Foundation, CWM Retirement Plan Services LLC, Custom Business Solutions,
Dr. Jay Wise, DDS and Dr. Casey Jones, DMD, The Dylandale Foundation, The
Feigenbaum Foundation, Frankie's Ristorante Italiano, the Garden Gables
Inn, Greylock Federal Credit Union, Guido’s Fresh Marketplace, Haven Cafe
and Bakery, Health Professional Counseling, International Schools Theatre
Association, Interprint, Lee Bank, Maggie Barry, Massachusetts Cultural
Council, J.H. Maxymillian, Inc., Methuselah Bar and Lounge, Natracare, No.
Six Depot Roastery and Café, Onyx Specialty Papers, RB Design Co., The
Rogovoy Report, The Rookwood Inn, The Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn
Foundation, Rouge Restaurant & Bistro, Salisbury Bank, T Square Design
Studio, Toole Insurance, a. von schlegell & co.

WAM Theatre is also supported in part by grants from the Alford-Egremont
Cultural Council, Lenox Cultural Council, New Marlborough Cultural Council,
Pittsfield Cultural Council, Cultural Council of Northern Berkshires, Otis
Cultural Council, and Richmond Cultural Council – local agencies that are
supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.

ABOUT WAM THEATRE

Based in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, WAM Theatre is Where Arts and
Activism Meet. The award-winning company was co-founded in 2010 by Canadian
director, actor, educator, and producer Kristen van Ginhoven. WAM’s vision
is to create opportunity for women and girls through the mission of theatre
as philanthropy.

Inspired by the book Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for
Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, WAM donates a
portion of the proceeds from its theatrical events to organizations that
benefit women and girls.

Since 2010, WAM Theatre has provided paid work to more than 200 theatre
artists and donated more than $56,500 to fifteen local and global
organizations taking action for women and girls in areas such as girls
education, teen pregnancy prevention, sexual trafficking awareness, midwife
training and more. In addition to the main stage productions and special
events, WAM Theatre’s activities include a comprehensive educational
outreach program and the Fresh Takes Play Reading Series. For more
information, visit www.WAMTheatre.com <http://www.wamtheatre.com/>

###

--
Gail M. Burns