[Capdist-announce] CapSci and The Dudley Observatory Present "Silent Sky" by Lauren Gunderson

eli sands elisands at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:42:21 EDT 2018

[image: postcard_front.jpg]
*Date*: September 27th 2018 @ 7:00 pm
*Venue*: miSci museum of science and innovation
*Address*: 15 Nott Terrace Heights, Schenectady, NY 12308

*Synopsis*: Blending science, humor, and romance, Silent Sky tells the
compelling, true story of celebrated astronomer Henrietta Swan Leavitt and
her female colleagues at the Harvard Observatory, and how they rose above
the male-­‐driven, turn-­‐of-­‐the-­‐century world of science to make their
way into history. Much like the movie Hidden Figures, Silent Sky honors the
central role of women who, though historically overlooked, should be
acclaimed for fundamentally advancing our understanding of the universe.

*Performance Date*: September 27th @ 7:00 PM

*Starring*: Olivia L. Bullock, Carol Charniga, Janet Hurley Kimlicko, Steve
Maggio, and Lydia J. Nightingale

*Director: *Eli Sands

*Who we are*: CapSci (501c3) aims to advance the public understanding of
science in the New York Capital Region. Our mission is to foster
interactions between scientists and non-­‐scientists, to promote
science-­‐based public policy and scientifically literate policy makers,
and to nurture diversity within the scientific community.

*Why this event*: Building bridges between science and the arts is
exciting; we celebrate the common threads of curiosity and passion that
unite us all. By dramatizing the stories of underrepresented scientists, we
hope to shine a light on issues surrounding diversity in the sciences.

*More Information*: http://bit.ly/SilentSky_PolySci