[Capdist-announce] PRESS RELEASE: WAM Announces Expansion of Theatre Leadership

Gail Burns gail at wamtheatre.com
Tue Apr 30 09:57:12 EDT 2019

April 30, 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact: Gail Burns, Marketing and Publicity Associate

www.wamtheatre.com

pr at wamtheatre.com; 413.274.8122

*Photos by Carolyn Brown attached*

WAM Announces Expansion of Theatre Leadership

New Hires Join Award-Winning Theatre

LENOX, MA [April 30, 2019] — WAM Theatre announces the addition of two new
members to the WAM Leadership Team as a long-time Team member, Gwendolyn
Tunnicliffe, moves on.

"All of us at WAM will miss Gwen dearly. Her contributions to WAM in her
four years with us have been immense and she is adored by our WAMily,”
Producing Artistic Director Kristen van Ginhoven explained. “We wish her
well on her new life chapter and are excited to have hired long-time WAM
artist Lia Russell-Self as our new Associate Producing Director and
newcomer to WAM, Kristen Perlman, as our new Philanthropy Manager. We look
forward to following Gwendolyn's new adventures and to welcoming Lia and
Kristen to our team."

Together with van Ginhoven, Associate Artistic Director Talya Kingston, and
General Manager Dori Parkman, Russell-Self and Perlman will comprise the
leadership team at WAM Theatre.

“I feel deeply privileged to have spent four seasons working at WAM under
the brilliant mentorship of Kristen van Ginhoven,” Tunnicliffe said. “WAM
has surrounded me with love and empowerment and I can't begin to express my
gratitude. In my day to day work, I have been empowered by peers and
fulfilled by the mission while revelling in the thrill of the big moments
at WAM when the impact of the work is palpable.”

“Having lived in Berkshire County all my life, I am excited begin a new
adventure in Washington DC. However, I can't wait to come back to celebrate
the opening of PIPELINE with the WAMily in the Fall!”

As a producer, director, performer, writer, and stage manager, Lia
Russell-Self is dedicated to creating a change in the arts scene, one way
or another. They have worked with companies locally in the Berkshires,
Chatham/Hudson area, and beyond to bridge the gaps of arts, activism, and
education with companies such as the rig (Lee, MA), Flying Cloud (Great
Barrington, MA), and Bazar Productions (West Stockbridge, MA).
Russell-Self holds a BA in Theatrical Studies and Creative Writing from
Bard College at Simon’s Rock.

“As someone who devotes their life to making a change through the arts, WAM
has continuously fueled me to think creatively about what we can do as
artists to question and activate change in our world,” Russell-Self said.
“Every WAM show is another opportunity to collaborate and support
organizations doing the work to illuminate and spark the necessary and
important conversations for diversifying our theatre community.”

Kristen Perlman is a marketing and communications professional with a
passion for theatre and philanthropy. After a 17+ year career in financial
services marketing in NYC, she and her husband purchased a small inn and
relocated to the southern Berkshires in 2017. She holds a BA in
Economics/International Careers from Lehigh University in Bethlehem,
Pennsylvania.

“I am excited to join an organization that generates and enriches dialog
about issues affecting women and girls throughout the world,” said Perlman.
“WAM Theatre encourages audiences to give thoughtful consideration to the
challenges faced by others and continue conversations beyond the theatre. I
appreciate having the opportunity to help WAM Theatre achieve its double
philanthropic mission and play a role in creating thought-provoking theatre
that promotes compassion and connectedness.”

Russell-Self and Perlman join the WAM Team as the company’s 10th
Anniversary season is well underway with the first Mainstage production,
LADY RANDY, running to rave reviews and enthusiastic audiences at
Shakespeare & Company’s Elayne P. Bernstein Theatre through May 5. Tickets
are still available for the closing weekend of LADY RANDY.

https://www.wamtheatre.com/ladyrandy/

The initial Fresh Takes Play Reading Series event- NATIVE GARDENS by Karen
Zacarías - takes place at 3pm on Saturday, May 4. The second Fresh Takes
Play Reading - PARADISE by Laura Maria Censabella - is planned for November
2, during the October 24-November 9 run of the Mainstage production of
PIPELINE by Dominique Morisseau, presented in partnership with
Multicultural BRIDGE.

Also this season WAM Education is launching a new Elder Ensemble program
for women 65 and older, in tandem with the successful, established Teen
Ensemble. Both Ensembles will debut their original devised theatre pieces
at the WAM 10th Anniversary Gala on Wednesday, July 24 from 5:30-8:30 pm at
the Stationery Factory in Dalton.

For more information about WAM’s 10th Anniversary Season visit:

https://www.wamtheatre.com/2019-season/

WAM 10th Anniversary Sponsors

WAM’s 2019 sponsors include Adams Community Bank, Annie Selke, Berkshire
Gas, Berkshire Hand to Shoulder Center, Berkshire Magazine, Berkshire
Sterile Manufacturing, Blue Q, Blue Spark Financial, Brabson Library &
Educational Foundation, Canyon Ranch, Chez Nous, Custom Business Solutions,
Dr, Jay Wise, DDS and Dr. Casey Jones, DMD, The Dylandale Foundation,
Frankie's Ristorante Italiano, Greylock Federal Credit Union, Guido’s Fresh
Marketplace, Haven Cafe and Bakery, Health Professional Coaching, Heller &
Robbins, Interprint, J.H. Maxymillian, Inc., Lee Bank, Maggie Barry, NEPR,
Massachusetts Cultural Council, Only in My Dreams Events, Onyx Specialty
Papers, OUTPOST, RB Design Co., The Rogovoy Report, The Rookwood Inn,
Salisbury Bank, T Square Design Studio, Toole Insurance, and a. von
schlegell & co.

WAM Theatre is also supported in part by grants from the Alford-Egremont
Cultural Council, Cultural Council of Northern Berkshires, Hinsdale-Peru
Cultural Council, Lenox Cultural Council, New Marlborough Cultural Council,
Otis Cultural Council, Richmond Cultural Council, Sandisfield Cultural
Council, Sheffield Cultural Council, Washington Cultural Council, West
Stockbridge Cultural Council– local agencies that are supported by the
Massachusetts Cultural Council, a state agency.

LADY RANDY is sponsored in part by an anonymous donor and PIPELINE is
sponsored in part by Carolyn Butler.

ABOUT WAM THEATRE

Based in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, WAM Theatre is celebrating its
10th anniversary of being a place Where Arts and Activism Meet. The company
was co-founded in 2010 by Canadian director, actor, educator, and producer
Kristen van Ginhoven. WAM’s vision is to create opportunity for women and
girls through the mission of theatre as philanthropy.

Inspired by the book Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for
Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, WAM donates a
portion of the proceeds from its theatrical events to organizations that
benefit women and girls.

Since 2010, WAM Theatre has provided paid work to more than 200 theatre
artists and donated more than $56,500 to fifteen local and global
organizations taking action for women and girls in areas such as girls
education, teen pregnancy prevention, sexual trafficking awareness, midwife
training and more. In addition to the main stage productions and special
events, WAM Theatre’s activities include a comprehensive educational
outreach program and the Fresh Takes Play Reading Series. For more
information, visit www.WAMTheatre.com <http://www.wamtheatre.com/>

###

--
Gail M. Burns