[Capdist-announce] Classic Theater Guild premiere of "An Ideal Husband" March 20th

Laura Griffin lapgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 09:16:34 EDT 2021

 *Just a few days until Classic Theater Guild's virtual production of Oscar
Wilde's "An Ideal Husband"!*

Visit https://forms.gle/2DFv3B8XdRcBmSWq8
<https://forms.gle/2DFv3B8XdRcBmSWq8?fbclid=IwAR22WKZyod-ccJxnbmW4HFdDagLX-Ke35IOVPqheN0Dam5scGm49tf1VfzU>
to register; we will email you the link before the show.

The premiere, *streamed live*, is *March 20th at 7PM*, with additional
viewing available though the 26th. Tickets are available on a *"give what
you can"* basis -- we suggest $10 but any amount is fine, even free.

Directed by Jonathan Riven, produced by Umber Gold, with Technical Director
Michael Silvia.

*CAST:*
Robert Chiltern.....Andrew Bryce
Gertrude Chiltern....Ness Stark
Lady Basildon.....Giacinta Pace
Lady Markby.....Christine Vermilyea
Lord Caversham.....Russell Roberts
Lord Goring.....Tristan Strasser
Mabel Chiltern.....Sarah Durocher
Mrs. Chevely.....Elisheva Malfatto
Mrs. Marchmont.....Kelsey Marlowe Jessup
Mrs. Montford.....Paola Gonzalez
Vicomte DeNanjac / James / Harold.....Alan Angelo
Mason.....Seana Munson
Phipps.....Bill Wilday
Narrator.....Kim Plofker

In his Director's Statement, Jonathan Riven draws astonishing parallels
between the themes in the 1895 *An Ideal Husband* and today's "cancel
culture". He writes, "Right now there is a great debate about the right to
be forgotten. The argument is that if an individual is going to make a
clean break with their past; that past should not be held against them
after a certain period of time. After that period has concluded, prior
misdeeds should no longer be searchable on the internet.

It seems that Wilde would come down on the side of individuals having the
right to be forgotten. At least when it concerns individuals who have
committed some misdeed that doesn’t involve violence towards another
person, or does not put another person in danger. At one point Lord
Chiltern asks Lord Goring: “*Who have I hurt? No one*.”

The complete Director's Statement is included in the PDF-format program
that will be emailed to each registrant.

Visit www.sparknotes.com/drama/idealhusband/ to learn more about *An Ideal
Husband*.