[Capdist-announce] O’Neill’s Epic “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” Comes to Catskill November 11-21

Steven Patterson kaliyuga.steven at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 21:22:08 EDT 2021

It’s the Mount Everest of American drama. Arguably the greatest play
written by a native dramatist in the 20th Century. And this towering
masterpiece of world theater is coming to Catskill’s Bridge Street Theatre
(three-time “Best of Greene County” Award Winner) for eight performances
only, November 11-21, 2021.

In “Long Day’s Journey Into Night”, Nobel Prize-winner Eugene O’Neill takes
audiences on a deep dive into the dark heart of an American family. Over
the course of a single day, his autobiographical Tyrones (based on the
playwright’s own family) alternate between compassion and blame, love and
hatred for one another as they wrestle with or succumb to their inner
demons. Intensely personal revelations of addiction, co-dependence,
resentment, guilt, and jealousy are all laid bare in a play O’Neill never
intended to be published or performed until at least 50 years after his
death and which, in his own words, he wrote in “tears and blood” and with
“deep pity and understanding and forgiveness” for all its haunted
protagonists.

“The dysfunctional family is the major over-arching theme of so many great
American dramas,” says the production’s director John Sowle, “and this one
pretty much tops them all. It’s an undisputed classic, and one I think any
theater worth its salt eventually has to grapple with. It’s a big
commitment for us, as well as our patrons, to make, especially now as we’re
just starting to emerge from this pandemic. Over the course of its
three-plus hour running time (with two intermissions), it puts audiences
and actors on a roller coaster of emotional extremes. By play’s end, you’re
stunned, exhilarated, and totally wrung out. We actually plan to have
stickers printed up that read ‘I survived Long Day’s Journey Into Night’ to
pass out to all attendees who make it through. But it’s an epic experience
we think is eminently worth taking on and we’re pulling out all the stops
for this production. We’ve hired local sculptor Marc Swanson, who has a
major exhibition coming to MASS MoCA early next year, to create our sets.
We’ve commissioned an original piano score from renowned jazz and
orchestral composer Justin Morell. And we’ve assembled an absolutely
phenomenal cast who are giving their all to do justice to this amazing
mountain of a script.”

Featured in the cast are Roxanne Fay (Mary Tyrone), Christopher Patrick
Mullen (Jamie), Christopher Joel Onken (Edmund), Steven Patterson (James
Tyrone), and, in her Bridge Street Theatre debut, Taylor Congdon
(Cathleen). Lighting will be designed by Nicholas Hawrylko, costumes by
Michelle Rogers, and sound by Carmen Borgia. Production Stage Manager is
Liz Powers. Bridge Street Theatre’s entire Fall 2021 “American Roots
Re-Awakened” Season has been sponsored by Nina Matis and Alan Gosule, and
production of “Long Day’s Journey” has been funded in part by underwriting
support from Jay Lesenger, as well as a Restart NY Grant from the New York
State Council on the Arts.

For the safety of both audiences and artists, Bridge Street Theatre follows
union and state guidelines for indoor entertainment venues. All attendees
will need to provide proof of vaccination or a recent negative test for
COVID at the door prior to entry. In addition, masks will need to be worn
at all times while in the theatre building. For more detailed information
on the theatre’s safety precautions and attendance requirements, visit
bridgest.org/covid-safety-rules-at-bst/.

“Long Day’s Journey Into Night” will be performed Thursdays – Sundays,
November 11 – 21, 2021, on Bridge Street Theatre’s “Priscilla” Mainstage,
located at 44 West Bridge Street in the Village of Catskill. The show is
recommended for audiences ages 12 and over. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday
performances are at 7:00pm (please note the earlier than usual curtain
time), with Sunday matinees at 2:00pm. Admission at the door is $25,
Students and Children ages 18 and under are only $10. Discounted advance
tickets (highly recommended) are available for $22/$10 (+ a small service
fee) at ldj21.brownpapertickets.com <https://gulch21.brownpapertickets.com>.
In addition, the Thursday November 11 preview and Sunday November 14
matinee will each be bargain “Pay-What-You-Will” performances.

For further information on “Long Day’s Journey” and other upcoming events
at Bridge Street Theatre, check the theatre’s website at
bridgestreettheatre.org <https://bridgest.org>. Live theatre is back! Don’t
miss the chance to experience this epic theatrical adventure up close in
Bridge Street Theatre’s intimate 84-seat house.

*Performance Calendar: *Bridge Street Theatre presents
Show #3 in its 2021 “American Roots Re-Awakened” Season
*LONG DAY’S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT*
by Nobel Prize-Winning Playwright Eugene O’Neill
with Taylor Congdon, Roxanne Fay, Christopher Patrick Mullen, Christopher
Joel Onken, and Steven Patterson
Directed by John Sowle
Set Design by Marc Swanson
Lighting Design by Nicholas Hawrylko
Costumes by Michelle Rogers
Sound by Carmen Borgia
with Incidental Music Composed by Justin Morell
Production Stage Manager: Liz Powers
November 11 - 21, 2021
Thursdays-Saturdays @ 7:00pm, Sundays @ 2:00pm
Bridge Street Theatre’s “Priscilla” Mainstage
44 West Bridge Street, Catskill, NY

Thursday November 11 @ 7:00pm (“Pay What You Will” preview)
Friday November 12 @ 7:00pm (Opening Night)
Saturday November 13 @ 7:00pm
Sunday November 14 @ 2:00pm (“Pay What You Will” performance)
Thursday November 18 @ 7:00pm
Friday November 19 @ 7:00pm
Saturday November 2016 @ 7:00pm
Sunday November 21 @ 2:00pm (Closing performance)

*Tickets: *Advance tickets available at https://ldj21.brownpapertickets.com
General Admission $22, $10 for Students and Children ages 18 and under
Tickets can also be purchased at the door prior to each performance (on a
space available basis) for $25, $10 for Students ages 18 & under.