[Capdist-announce] Marion Spencer Dance Comes to Catskill with “to love the rise/pt.2”

Steven Patterson kaliyuga.steven at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 14:33:01 EDT 2022

Following a developmental residency at Catwalk Institute, Brooklyn-based
Marion Spencer Dance will present a live public performance of a new work
entitled “to love the rise/pt.2” at Catskill’s Bridge Street Theatre on
Saturday July 16, 2022, at 7:30pm.

“to love the rise/pt.2” is an emerging/ongoing multimedia dance project
directed by Marion Spencer and including artists Ogemdi Ude, Symara
Johnson, Kimiko Tanabe, Tara Sheena, s. lumbert and slowdanger. Here is her
description of the project: “Taking lessons from abolition, liminal space,
transformation, and Donna Haraway’s ‘A Cyborg Manifesto,’ our process
continues developing through a previously imagined and now lived
apocalypse, offering visions of a world built from the detritus of our
current one. Reflecting upon Mariame Kaba's writings on abolition and
transformative justice, we collectively consider how we move forward with
scars, embracing an alternative order. Emerging on a different imaginative
plane, a new utopia and all her elements are built by our collective,
collaging moving and grooving, sensing and sounding, constructing and
deconstructing, finding and losing order to arrive together in a
transformed ecology of sensing, imagination, and action. We offer an
anti-capitalist mindset and alternative order in this project, posing that
our world is made by us all through resistance, imagining and action.”

According to her website, Marion Spencer is “an interdisciplinary dance
artist currently living on the unceded land of the Munsee Lenape and
Canarsie peoples, known today as Brooklyn, NY. I propose dance and dance
making as salvor - cellularly, individually, sociopolitically, societally.
Amidst a creative process including movement, vocalization, and collaging
that are rigorously researched and rigorously intuitive, I dance and makes
dances to dream and make dreams alive, inviting you to journey terrains of
my imagination.”

The performance of “to love the rise/pt.2” will take place on Bridge Street
Theatre’s “Priscilla” Mainstage, located at 44 West Bridge Street in the
Village of Catskill, NY, at 7:30pm Saturday July 16. Tickets are $15, $10
for Students/Seniors/Working Artists, and can be purchased at the door
one-half hour prior to the performance or in advance online at
bridgest.org/spencer-tickets/. To learn more about Marion Spencer dance,
visit their website at www.marion-spencer.com. And for more information
regarding the performance of “to love the rise/pt.2” on July 16, go to
bridgest.org/marion-spencer/.

*Performance Calendar *Catwalk Institute (in partnership with Bridge Street
Theatre) presents

*Marion Spencer Dance: to love the rise/pt.2 *Saturday July 16, 2022 @
7:30pm
Bridge Street Theatre’s “Priscilla” Mainstage
44 West Bridge Street, Catskill, NY

* Tickets: *General Admission $15, Students/Seniors/Working Artists $10
Advance tickets online at bridgest.org/spencer-tickets/
Tickets can also be purchased at the door one half hour prior to the
performance (subject to availability)

*Photo: Stefano Altamura*

*Events at Bridge Street Theatre are supported in part by the New York
State Council on the Arts with the support of the Governor of New York and
the New York State Legislature and by Public Funds from the Greene County
Legislature through the Cultural Fund administered in Greene County by the
CREATE Council on the Arts.*