[Capdist-announce] REAL PEOPLE REAL STORIES: Captivating Tales Told by Local Storytellers returns June 24

Lauren Letellier pr at ancramoperahouse.org
Mon Jun 12 12:51:20 EDT 2023

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

June 12, 2020

Contact: Lauren Letellier

pr at ancramoperahouse.org

917-747-5250

*Ancram Opera House’s REAL PEOPLE REAL STORIES*

*Returns for its Eighth Season *

*Captivating Tales Told by Local Storytellers*

Ancram Opera House (AOH) announced that its perennial audience favorite
REAL PEOPLE REAL STORIES will return to the Hilltop Barn in Roeliff Jansen
Park on Saturday, June 24 at 7:30pm. REAL PEOPLE REAL STORIES features area
residents telling poignant, humorous, surprising true tales, and has been a
signature part of every AOH season since 2016.

This edition’s storytellers are:

·      Carter Beers (Poughkeepsie, NY) with a story about confronting fear.

·      Macey Levin (Taconic, CT) with a story about his short-lived career
in film.

·      James Occhino (Athens, NY) with a story about the transformational
power of summer.

·      Paula Kaplan-Reiss (Canaan, NY) with a story about her monumental
experience climbing Monument Mountain.

Paul Ricciardi, AOH Co-Director and Professor, City University of New York
- Kingsborough CC, curates and directs the series. “You don’t have to look
far in our area for great stories:  every year I’m inspired by how the
storytellers, in sharing their tales, show us what it means to be human,
brave, and whole-hearted.”

"Since 2016 we’ve staged 18 productions of REAL PEOPLE REAL STORIES
featuring more than 70 adult and 60 kid storytellers, each with an amazing
tale to tell,” said Ricciardi. “Our community has embraced REAL PEOPLE REAL
STORIES as its own, so much so that we’ve expanded the concept. In 2016 we
started hosting an annual workshop at the Kennedy Center American College
Theater Festival. Since 2020 we’ve hosted two free workshops a year at
Ancram Opera House, and another one at the North East Community Center. And
for the 4th year, we’ll be teaching storytelling at the Taconic Hills
Central School District Middle School during the 2023-2024 academic year.”

This production of REAL PEOPLE REAL STORIES is underwritten by Copake Wine
Works. The Hilltop Barn is located at 9140 NY Route 22, Hillsdale NY 12529.
Tickets can be purchased online at
ancramoperahouse.org/real-people-real-stories-2023, or at the door. Price:
$25 general admission, $15 with student ID.  Beer, wine, and Jimmy’s Hot
Dogs will be available for purchase at the show.

Ancram Opera House is an award-winning theater located in New York's Hudson
Valley. Housed in an historic Grange Hall, AOH has since 2016 presented
groundbreaking theater and musical performances by nationally recognized
theater artists. AOH receives significant annual support from the New York
State Council on the Arts and in 2023 was awarded a generous grant from the
National Endowment for the Arts. As part of its mission to foster community
connection through the performing arts, AOH conducts storytelling workshops
for local adults and children in area schools. For more information visit
www.ancramoperahouse.org.

#  #  #

[image: Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 12.48.05 PM.png]

Lauren Letellier (she/her)
Press Representative, Ancram Opera House
pr at ancramoperahouse.org
Lauren's phone: 413-458-4246
AOH phone: 518-329-0114
https://www.ancramoperahouse.org