[Capdist-announce] Melinda Buckley’s “MOTHER (and me)” Comes To Catskill March 17-19

Steven Patterson kaliyuga.steven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 14:58:08 EST 2023

Show #2 in Bridge Street Theatre’s 2023 SoloFest delivers both Broadway
razzle-dazzle AND off-off-Broadway intimacy. “MOTHER (and me)”, written and
performed by Melinda Buckley, arrives at BST, located at 44 West Bridge
Street in Catskill, for three performances only – Friday and Saturday March
17 and 18 at 7:30pm and Sunday March 19 at 2:00pm. This alternately
hilarious, touching, and ultimately uplifting one-woman show is Melinda
Buckley’s personal saga of a Broadway performer shimmying her way into
middle age as her own Hungarian Mama Rose begins a slow waltz with
dementia. What distinguishes “Mother (and me)” is that these delicate
subjects are handled with consummate skill, pizzazz and, most importantly,
a healthy dose of humor.

The show was originally developed from bits of writing Melinda Buckley
performed in Wynn Handman’s acting class. As the piece grew, Melinda
brought it to her friend and playwright Matt Hoverman who helped her shape
it into a solo play. In 2014, it premiered in the FringeNYC Festival at the
Celebration of Whimsy where it had an extended run as that venue’s Best of
Fest winner. Barbara Whitman, Tony Award-winning producer of “Fun Home”,
saw the show and took it under her wing. Kimberly Senior, director of the
Tony Award-winning play “Disgraced” joined the team, helping to refine the
material and the production. “MOTHER (and me)” then went on to
developmental runs at Chicago Shakespeare, off-Broadway’s Second Stage
Uptown and Bay Street Theater in Sag Harbor, NY. In 2016, the show
premiered in Chicago as a part of Greenhouse Theater’s ’Solo Celebration,’
one of 12 shows selected out of 400.  The show subsequently had an
enormously successful 3-week run at Geva Theatre Center, where it sold 225%
above goal. More recently, the play ran at the celebrated Martha’s Vineyard
Playhouse as part of their Spring Solo Festival. The show has also played
to full houses at the Cape Playhouse, the Cotuit Center for the Arts and
Provincetown Works, as a much-needed fundraiser for the Alzheimer’s Family
Support Center of Cape Cod. To learn more and to read some of the rave
reviews the show has received, visit the play’s website at
https://www.motherandmetheplay.com/

Individual tickets for “MOTHER (and me)” are $25, with those 18 and under
admitted for only $10. A Festival Pass for admission to all four SoloFest
plays is available for only $75 – that’s four shows for the price of three!
But you’ll need to act before March 10 when Show #1 in SoloFest, Lauren
Letellier’s “The Village Cidiot”, gives its final performance. For more
information and to purchase tickets, visit Bridge Street Theatre’s website
at bridgest.org/2023-solofest/ and follow the appropriate links to buy BST
Season Tickets (which give you an even further discount), the four-show
SoloFest Pass, or tickets for individual shows in the Festival.

You won’t want to miss “MOTHER (and me)” or any of the other shows in
SoloFest – four amazing evenings (or afternoons) of story-telling at its
best! Head on over to 44 West Bridge Street in Catskill this March and
discover just how enthralling one person alone onstage can be!

*Performance Calendar: *Bridge Street Theatre presents

*MOTHER (and me) *Written and performed by Melinda Buckley
Originally directed by Kimberly Senior
Production Stage Manager: Kiara Vedovino
3 Performances Only!
March 17-19, 2023
Friday & Saturday @ 7:30pm, Sunday @ 2:00pm
Bridge Street Theatre’s “Priscilla” Mainstage
44 West Bridge Street, Catskill, NY

Friday March 17 @ 7:30pm
Saturday March 18 @ 7:30pm
Sunday March 19 @ 2:00pm

Tickets:
Advance tickets available at bridgest.org/mother-and-me/
General Admission $25, 18 and under $10
Discount 4-show SoloFest Passes are available for $75 at
bridgest.org/solofest-subscription (must be purchased before March 12)
Even further discounts available to 2023 Bridge Street Theatre Season
Subscribers
To learn more, visit bridgest.org/2023-season/ or
bridgest.org/2023-solofest/