[Capdist-auditions] Audition Announcement: Pirates of Penzance, Spotlight Players, May 7th and 8th, 8 pm

Spotlight Players spotlightplayers at spotlightplayerstheater.com
Mon Apr 9 09:49:25 EDT 2007

Spotlight Players Community Theater
The Pirates of Penzance

Auditions, May 7th and 8th, 7 PM

Auditions at Spotlight Players Community Theater,
Columbia High School, 92 Luther Road, East Greenbush, NY, 12061

Call for more information:
Michael Mensching, Director, (518) 810-9534

Spotlight Players Community Theater Inc. is pleased to announce auditions for Gilbert and Sullivan’s “Pirates of Penzance” on May 7th and 8th at the Columbia High School Auditorium.

Show dates July 12-14.

This will be an extremely fun community event for people ages 16 and older.  Much like newer versions of Sweeney Todd and Company, this show will also contain characters that will play instruments on stage.

Although we encourage all people to audition for the show, special consideration will be given to those actors who play a musical instrument, especially piano.  Currently we have 4 piano players for the show.  Ideally we would like 4 more.  There will be circumstances where dueling pianos will be used, so even if you just play a little, that could be great too.

Just because you don’t play an instrument is no reason not to audition; there are roles that we will cast with non-instrumentalists.  If you know the show, then you know that there is a lot to sing…even the ensemble sings a great deal in the production.

We at Spotlight are looking for a production that is as entertaining for the actors as it is for the audience. We are looking to make it a fun-filled yet challenging community theater experience.

v     For auditions please try to sing something from the show or a Broadway standard which is close to Gilbert & Sullivan in style.  An accompanist will be provided for auditions.  Please bring sheet music for the accompanist and plan to sing 16 bars only.  No a cappella auditions will be allowed.
v     We will rehearse approximately 3 days per week until 2 weeks before the show.  They are not set days each week because we are working around the school calendar.  We do have an alternate rehearsal space available, which we will use for music rehearsals only for the months of May and June.
v     There is no dance audition.  Only those considered for major roles following the singing auditions will be asked to do a cold reading.
v     The part of the Major General has been cast.  He is awesome and plays the piano, so we locked him in immediately.  All other roles are still available.
v     At this time, we do not plan to double pirates with the policemen.  We do have several members of the Mendelssohn Choir auditioning for the policemen.  This will not only be an incredible, dynamic asset to our ensemble singing, but it will also make the rehearsal process for men much easier.  If you are a male auditioning for the show you should plan to audition for a pirate unless you feel that you can be a good fit with the men’s choir.

v     Show description – In the Pirates of Penzance the young pirate apprentice Frederick is about to be freed from his indentured period.  The honorable, Frederick, who was mistakenly apprenticed to the pirates by his partially deaf nursemaid Ruth, has decided to leave the pirate life.  Now a free man, Frederick leaves for the shore.  Frederick, who has never seen a woman besides Ruth, instantly falls in love with Mabel, one of the daughters of Major General Stanley.  Soon though, the pirates arrive, and want to marry the rest of Major General Stanley’s daughters.  Major-General Stanley enlists the help of the police to stop the pirates.  Frederick desires to help General Stanley and the police to help protect the ladies, but soon he discovers that due to a technicality, he is still bound by duty to remain an apprentice to the pirates.  All is well in the end when it is discovered that the pirates have noble blood and would in fact be suitable husbands for Major General
 Stanley’s daughters.

v     Character descriptions:
v     Frederic—Frederic is the handsome, young man who had been mistakenly apprenticed to a band of Pirates until his 21st birthday.  He values duty as the supreme human trait.  He is extremely naïve and has never seen a woman besides his nursemaid Ruth.  Age: 18—30, Voice: Tenor
v     Mabel—Mabel is the beautiful and independent ward of Major-general Stanley, who falls in love with Frederic.  Age:  16—26, Voice: Soprano
v     Ruth—Ruth is the half-deaf nursemaid of Frederic, she joined the Pirates after mistakenly apprenticing Frederic.  Age:  40—70, Voice: Mezzo
v     Edith-- Edith is the leader of Major-General Stanley’s daughters.  Age 15—25, Voice: Soprano
v     Samuel—The Confident and fearless lieutenant to the Pirate King.  Age 21-40, Voice: Baritone
v     Sergeant of Police-- The bumbling leader of the police sent out to fight the pirates. Has a strong sense of duty, but is a coward in the face of real danger.  Age: 25—50, Voice: Baritone.
v     The Pirate King—The strong leader of the Pirates, he is fully willing to rape and pillage, yet refuses to commit evil acts against orphans. Age: 30—60, Voice: Baritone
v     Isabel-- Ward of Major-General Stanley.  Age: 15—25, Voice: N/A
v     Kate—Ward of Major-General Stanley.  Age 15-25, Voice: Mezzo
v     Ensemble – Consists of pirates, daughters and policemen of various ages and vocal ranges.  We are looking to cast a powerful group of ensemble members for this production.  If you are looking for a show with a lot of choral singing…then this one is for you!

Spotlight Players Community Theater, Inc. is the provider of quality community sponsored musical and dramatic productions in the East Greenbush community.

Michael McDermott
(518) 669-5414