[Capdist-auditions] pre-audition notice

clglangley clglangley at juno.com
Fri Jan 4 20:36:12 EST 2008

I'm hoping to direct Smoke on the Mountain for Circle Theatre Players at the Sand Lake Center for the Art in the spring lf 2009.  The cast includes 4 men: a teenage boy, 1 man in early twenties, and 2 men 40 - 60 and 3 females; 2 teenage girls and one woman approximately 40.  All cast memberw with the possible exception of one teenage girl and the man in his twenties must not only be able to act, but must also play an acoustic instrument such as guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, autoharp, mountain dulimer.

The challenge of finding appropriate people with talents in each of these areas makes me feel that it would be a good idea to put out some feelers to help determine the liklihood of casting this as volunteers in community theater.  I'd like to do this now before I create our season brochure, if possible.

Please let me know if it's possible to put this on your web site now and what additional information you might require, if any.  I've included some information about the play below.

Thank you,

CarolLynn Langley

Book by Constance Ray. Conceived by Alan Bailey. Musical arrangements by Mike Craver and Mark Hardwick.

4 m., 3 f.

Int.

The year is 1938. It's Saturday night in Mount Pleasant, NC, and the Reverend Oglethorpe has invited the Sanders Family Singers to provide an upliftin' evening of singin' and witnessin'. The audience is invited to pull up a pew and join in the rollicking good time. More than two dozen songs, many of them vintage pop hymns, and hilarious stories from the more or less devout Sanders provide a richly entertaining evening that has audiences clapping, singing, laughing and cheering.

"Totally beguiling ... foot stomping soul food."-- N.Y. Post.

"Wildly funny.... So well written that I found myself laughing, rooting for the family, and singing along and clapping with the rest of the audience."-- Trentonian.

"Exhilarating! ... A rollicking ... cornpone Chorus Line."-- Variety.

"A sophisticated audience went simply wild."-- Philadelphia Daily News.

"A charming and funny celebration of Americana."---N.Y. Times.