[Capdist-auditions] Once Upon A Mattress Auditions--NO FEE

Sally Burke jburke6 at nycap.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 10:45:02 EST 2010

Not So Common Players

Once Upon a Mattress

Audition Notice

April 11th and 13th at the Shenendehowa Adult Community Center.

Sunday-registration 1:00 pm; Tuesday-registration 6:30 PM

Performances on the Clifton Common

July 16, 17, 18 and 22, 23, 24, 25

Prepare 16 bars of a Broadway Show Tune and bring sheet music; no a-capella
singing; wear comfortable clothes for a brief movement audition.
Accompanist provided.

Many moons ago in a far off place

Lived a handsome prince with a gloomy face

For he did not have a bride

Alas, the prince couldn't find a lass

Who would suit his mother's pride.

Once Upon a Mattress is the musical telling of the fable "The Princess and
the Pea." It takes place in an enchanted kingdom during a time of damsels,
castles, swords, etc., etc.

As our story begins we learn of the poor prince's pitiable predicament.  And
why should it be thus?  It seems Her Royal Highness the Queen has rather
royal high standards for her heir.  What's more, she has decreed that until
there is held a royal wedding there will be no nuptials of any kind!
Naturally, the townspeople (certainly the eligible ladies and gents) are
rather anxious at this unnatural state of affairs.  Or, er, lack of affairs.
Seizing the initiative (and an offstage steed), a noble, brave, and yes,
handsome knight sets out on a quest to find a worthy woman for woyal wooing.

Thence from another enchanted kingdom arrives a remarkable woman, eager to
display her qualifications for the prince's hand, not to mention the rest of
him.  She sings!  She dances!  She does long division in her head!  But
little does she realize that, in order to succeed, she will have to meet a
never-before-met challenge both tall and.small.

Character Breakdown

Solo singing roles:

Winnifred (25+) - Our heroine.  Spririted and fun, gracious and friendly,
with perhaps a quirk or two.  Most of all, self-confidence personified (and
for our story, a good physical comedienne, too)

Queen Aggravain (50s-60s) - The domineering ruler of the kingdom.  Smart,
self-centered and shrewish.  While married to the King, the only one in her
world who really matters is.

Dauntless (30s-40s) - The long-frustrated prince, forever hopeful of finding
a bride.  Meek and good, if maybe a little too meek and good

Lady Larken (18-20s) - A member of the royal court, she is the "girl most
likely to ___."  While not exactly a dreamer, she is a happy romantic, and
just wild about.

Harry (20s-30) - A noble, brave, and yes, handsome knight (see above).  A
swell fella, gallant chap, and expectant daddy

Wizard (40s+) - Right hand henchman to the queen.  Devious, conniving,
cheats on his taxes.  Actor may be left-handed

Minstrel (20s+, male or female) - Our intrepid narrator.  Have lute, will
travel

Jester (20s+, male or female) - A jester

Note:  The Minstrel and Jester will mingle and ad-lib amongst the audience
pre-curtain

Ensemble singing roles, various ages teen to adult:

Lady Rowena

Lady Lucille

Lady Merrill

Knight 1

Knight 2

Knight 3

Lady H

Luce

Luce's Lady

Studley

Mabelle

Non-singing role:

King Sextimus (50s-60s) - Warm, beloved, grand liege of the land.  How
unfortunate to be a victim of a curse that has rendered him mute, only able
to communicate with gesture and pantomime.  Nothing to sing, no lines to
memorize?  It's good to be king!

Possible adds: townspeople, children (able to sing and move)

Questions may be directed to the director-Sky Vogel: 421-9105;
Rulyn.Vogel at ocfs.state.ny.us

Sally Burke

526-5648 (cell)

877-5648 (home)