[Capdist-auditions] Our Own Productions, Inc. announces auditions for Lorraine Hansberry's "A Raisin in the Sun"

Karen Christina Jones statestreet2424 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 21:20:23 EST 2011

Our Own Productions, Inc. announce auditions for Lorraine Hansberry's monumental work "A Raisin in the Sun".

>"A Raisin in the Sun", The New York Times commented, "changed American Theatre forever".
>Hansberry's groundbreaking piece revealed the struggles of a working class African American family with grit and poetry. Our Own Productions, Inc. and director Karen Christina Jones are proud to present this American classic as part of its 2011-2012 season.
> Looking for African American actors in following categories; Two Females 45-55, Five Males 25-45, One Female 25-35, One Female 19-25 and One Male 10-13. Also looking for a Caucasian Male 45-55. Production dates are March 23, 24, 25 and 30, 31 and April 1st.
>Please be prepared with a 1 min monologue and to read sides from the script.
>The role of Joseph Asagai has been cast. Auditions will be on Thursday, January 19th at 7.00pm, Sign in at 6.30pm  and Saturday, January 21st  11.00am, sign at 10.30am.
Snow Date will be Monday, January 23rd at 7.00pm, sign at 6.30pm  Auditions, rehearsals and performances will be at the Emmanuel Friedens Church 218 Nott Terrace, Schenectady.  (Around the corner from MVP) Friday and Saturday performances are at 8.00pm and Sunday matinees will be at 2.00pm. Rehearsals will start in early February.
For further information, please call Karen Christina Jones at 518.720.2011

Character Outlines

Lena Younger(35-55) Mother
of Walter Lee and Beneatha Younger.  Widow of Big Walter Younger.  A
strong God fearing Christian woman.  Lena
runs the younger house with a strong hand but maintains a sense of humor and compassion.  Lena possesses a sense of dignity and bravery
that supported her through many tough years.

Walter Lee Younger (25-35)
also known as “Brother”, Walter Lee is an ambitious young man without the
resources in his grasp.  Because of this,
Walter Lee’s ambition is in danger of rotting into bitterness.  Walter Lee’s dreams are for the benefit of
his family but his discouragement turns into a rage against them.

Ruth Younger (25-35) is
the wife of Walter Lee and the mother of Travis Younger.   Ruth is a prime example of Zora Neale
Hurston’s quote “The Black woman is the mule of the world.”  Ruth carries the pain and anger of her
husband on her shoulders every day.   Despite this overwhelming burden, Ruth perseveres for the sake of her
family.

Beneatha Younger (19-25)
is the younger daughter of Lena Younger.  A polished college student, Beneatha represents the scores of young
Black women who utilize education as their ticket of despair.  Because of her education,  Beneatha walks with a pride that often comes
across as arrogance.   But deep beneath
Beneatha is a soft vulnerability and a loving heart.

George Murchison (25-30)  George is a personification of
Malcolm X refers about too much cream weakens the coffee.  George’s total assimilation into White society
has put him out of touch with his Brothers and Sisters.  Although he appreciates Beneatha’s
intelligence, George wishes to squash her spirit.

Travis Younger (10-13) is
the son of Walter Lee and Ruth Younger.  Travis is everything one loves about youth.  Hopeful, sweet, playful and spirited.   Travis is the future of the Younger Family.

Wilhemenina Othella
Johnson (35-55)  Mrs. Johnson serves as a
comic relief in this strongly structured piece.  She is the typical noisy neighbor who visits unexpectedly and overstays
her welcome.  The actress will be the understudy for Lena Younger

Bobo (45-50) a scared man
who could reach for his own dreams.   Bobo is at the juncture in his life that he realizes that time is
running away from him.   Unable to work
for own his ambitions, he latches on to Walter Lee’s with tragic results.

Karl Lindner (45-60)  Mr. Lindner is an example of de facto
discrimination.   Yet, Lindner’s
character is interesting due to the fact that he knows what he tries to do to
the Younger Family is wrong.

Moving Men (25-35) The actors cast as the moving men will understudy for Walter Lee Younger and George Murchison.  The actors will have the opportunity to understudy on the Sunday. March 25th matinee.