[Capdist-auditions] Steve Holmes Now!

Joel Lord jpl at ilk.org
Sat Jun 18 12:02:33 EDT 2011

We have received several response posts about the "Steve Holmes Now!"
casting session up in Glens Falls today.  I am not going to allow any of
them through to the list, this response will have to suffice.

The gist of these responses has been that the "so-called casting
session" and "Steve Holmes Now!" are a scam.  Having done some research
of my own, I will admit that it doesn't look very good.  However, in the
interests of not getting myself of the Delta Xi Chapter of Alpha Psi
Omega (the "dx.ayw.org" part of the email address for this list) sued
beyond recognition, I will not come out here and say that they are or
are not.

What I will say is that reputable "representation" services should not
charge up-front fees for "membership".  Real agents get a cut of what
you make - some times fixed amounts, other times percentages.  But it is
a portion of your pay for work you have received, and thus is _after you
have the job_.  They will often have lists of other professionals who
provide services to their clients, such as photographers, but they will
be real professionals who charge for their services... and you get what
you pay for.

Reputable casting services are paid not by the auditioners, rather by
the show or shows they are casting for.  Think of it as a "finder's fee"
for each person hired.

Reputable services of any sort do not ask for personal information via
unsolicited email.  For anyone not familiar with the term, please look
up "phishing" on Google.

What it all comes down to is "caveat emptor" - "let the buyer beware".
Before giving someone you do not know any money or signing a contract,
do your homework and know what you are getting into.

--
Joel Lord