[Capdist-auditions] RPI Summer Program Information - Fee Required - partial scholarships available.

Mary D'Amico damicm at rpi.edu
Tue May 3 14:49:41 EDT 2011

RPI YOUNG ACTORS GUILD

Where Character Development Happens On and Off Stage!

CELEBRATING 22 YEARS

Of Growing The Whole Child, Not Just The Actor

SUMMER 2011

The RPI Young Actors Guild is entering our 22^nd year, teaching the
performing arts to students ages 6 – 18. The Young Actors Guild’s
mission is to provide a safe, supportive, and non-competitive
environment in which, through participation in theater arts, young
people can develop strong self-esteem, self-confidence and valuable life
skills.

The program serves approximately 240 students per year from over 40
Capital Region public, independent and parochial schools. Classes in
acting, singing, movement, and dance are offered and students have the
opportunity to perform in one or more professionally done productions
following each session.

FIVE WEEK CENTER STAGE PROGRAM: JULY 11 – AUGUST 12

OR

ONE WEEK PROGRAMS IN JUNE, JULY AND AUGUST

GO TO: SUMMER at RENSSELAER FOR MORE INFO AND FORMS.

Come join us for another awesome summer of theatre! Shows will be chosen
based on registration! Students will be grouped according to age for
classes. Here is a sampling of some of the courses we will be offering
this summer, taught by professional performers and staff. All of our our
classes are staffed with professional staff as well as interns learning
the craft. All of our students are cast in our professionally done full
scale musical productions at the culmination of the summer! Send your
child to a program that will teach them life skills both on and off
stage! Character development does not stop on stage at the Young Actors
Guild.........

*Acting and Theatre*: Our acting workshop gives participants an
understanding of the skills required to stage and perform in successful
productions. The curriculum is designed to develop the skills and
knowledge necessary for the many faceted discipline of theatre arts
including pantomime, speech and diction, and improvisation.

*Musical Theatre Appreciation*: Our musical appreciation course is a
fun-filled course where the participants are involved in activities
related to watching and critiquing musical theatre and listening to and
talking about songs. During the course, participants will engage in all
kinds of musical theatre from different genres and songs which have been
carefully selected by the instructor.

*Creative Writing:* Our creative writing course is aimed at developing a
participant’s creative thinking process and helping to channel this
thinking into fluent writing. The participant will be encouraged to
develop the skills required for writing short stories and also to extend
these stories into play form. We hope to promote a writers growth as an
individual and to use language as a means to that end. The ultimate goal
of the class is to develop these original writings into pieces to be
performed at the “Informance” at the end of the program.

*Dance and Movement*: Our students study different styles of dance. Each
class will begin with a ballet warm-up and then the instructor takes the
participants through a series of movement, combination, and leaps. This
class includes a variety of appropriate musical genres. Each class then
prepares a dance performance to be staged for our end of program
“Informance”.

*Music Theory and Voice:* Our music class concentrates on two main
skills. The first is composition and theory which many students have not
had the opportunity to study, and the other is voice. Our voice classes
concentrate on appropriate posture, breathing and of course the joy of
singing. Each class aims to produce some music stylings, to be performed
at our “Informance”

*Stage Combat:* Stage combat is a specialized technique in theatre
designed to create the illusion of physical combat without putting the
actors at risk of personal harm. This is all staged while looking
realistic and spontaneous to the audience.

*Shakespeare:* This summer our older students will be studying
Shakespeare with the director of the BakerLoo Theater Company from NYC.
learning basics in rhythm, poetry iambic pentameter, and learning to
find clues in the text, trusting text. We will be combining stage combat
and Shakespeare into scenes to be performed at the “Informance”.

*Film Study:* This course will explore the different genres of film as
well as allow the students to create their own films to be shown at the
informance (showcase) at the end of the summer.