[Capdist-auditions] Sourcing Writings and Searching for Actors for Upcoming Community-Based Theatre Project!

Allison Lerman-Gluck allison.lermangluck at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 19:57:38 EDT 2015

Hello, all!

We are the creative team for a new grant-funded project in Albany. The
Rejection Project 518 is a collaborative, intergenerational,
community-based theatre piece centered around exploring the concept of
REJECTION in its many forms. The project is sponsored in part by a NYSCA
Community Arts Decentralization Grant through The Arts Center of the
Capital Region and fiscally-sponsored by The Social Justice Center of
Albany. We are putting out a call for a large range of written material to
help sculpt this piece. The only guideline is that all contributors must
reside in or have a connection to Albany County, NY. Otherwise, the project
is wide open.

We are interested in all monologues, scripted scenes, random thoughts,
poems, original songs, fiction, and personal story or memoir. The only
prompts are: how have you been rejected? How have you rejected?

This is, admittedly, a very broad subject. To narrow it down, here are a
few ideas for submission topics:

How has your voice or opinion been rejected? As an artist (or just a
human), how does rejection shape your identity and self-worth? How do you
deal with rejection? What does it feel like to reject or to be rejected?
How have you been rejected by a person- or how have you rejected someone?
How are you rejected by society? How does your body or mind reject, in
terms of physical ability and wellness? How have you chosen to reject
societal norms that have been imposed upon you? Is it a feeling? An idea?
An opinion? How does REJECTION manifest in your daily life?

We hope that this piece will bring together a cohesive Albany-area
community as contributing writers, and eventually, the cast will also be
entirely composed of community members- actors and non-actors alike. We
hope to bring together varying demographics in this regional community that
do not often get the chance to engage with one another. This piece will be
a portrait of how this community reflects on the theme of REJECTION at this
moment in time and in their individual experiences.

We are also searching for performers for this piece! Rehearsals will be a
few times a week, starting in May, and performances will be at the end of
June or in the beginning of July.

It would be great if you could all reach out to your community members,
friends, family, and contacts of all ages about contributing material for
the piece and acting in it. Forward this email around, and invite people to
'like' our Facebook page: The Rejection Project, Albany
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rejection-Project-Albany/1572207129727748>
or follow us on twitter @TheRejection518 !

Submissions and questions can be sent to therejectionproject518 at gmail.com !
Anonymous submissions to our project can be made quickly and easily through
this form: Rejection Project 518 Submissions
<http://goo.gl/forms/HfpS7fdQDX>. Please follow us on social media and
encourage your contacts to as well!

All the best,
Allison Lerman-Gluck and Alex Hovet

Who We Are:

Allison Lerman-Gluck is an Albany-based theatre educator and director with
a background in community-based theatre, ensemble-based theatre, and
applied theatre. Recently, she co-directed, co-wrote, and co-edited a piece
entitled ‘Underneath’, a multi-media theatre piece written and performed by
a group of young women about their lives.

Alex Hovet is an Albany-based playwright, exhibiting artist and filmmaker,
and video teacher for the Arts Center of the Capital Region in Troy, NY. In
addition to previous work teaching video to local youth in Chicago, Hovet
has worked on several feature films and documentaries and has been involved
in a number of collaborative film projects, including being the co-writer
and director of an independently-produced web-series.