[Capdist-auditions] Fill an Important Role

The Raven Himself Movie theravenhimselfmovie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 18:08:26 EDT 2015

Our names are James Blanchfield, Ben Ward, and Michael Glantzis. All of
those on this mailing list received an email from us a few weeks back about
our project, The Raven Himself. We received many responses, and we were
able to fill all of our available roles. However, one of the roles that was
previously unavailable has opened up. Unfortunately, our actor playing Jim
Weaver, one of our lead roles, is unable to participate in our project due
to other commitments. So we are looking for some to fill this role. In case
our previous email did not reach your main inbox, below is a brief
description of our project and the role of Jim Weaver.

About us: We are all about to be high school seniors at Schenectady High
School, and have been making short films together for many years. For the
advanced diploma at our school, we are required to make a creative project
in order to raise money for a cause. We decided to make a film, and sell
tickets to a screening in order to raise money for the Schenectady Arts
Program, which all 3 of us have partaken in over our 12 years in
Schenectady Schools.

Film Summary: The film follows the relationship between 2 people: an
up-and-coming stage actor named Jim Weaver, and an experienced Hollywood
actor who has come to Broadway for the first time named Ed Childers. The 2
of them are involved in a Broadway production of Macbeth, in which Ed is
playing Macbeth and Jim is playing Macduff. Jim is a big fan of Ed, and the
two become friends. However, Ed has a dark side to him. In order to fully
get into the role of Macbeth, Ed actually commits murder, and Jim sees the
aftermath. The film follows Jim's internal conflict as time goes on, as
well as the eventual trial after Ed is caught.

About the Role: Jim Weaver is a talented, committed, and ambitious young
stage actor. This is his first Broadway production, and he wants everything
to go perfectly. He is a huge fan of Ed Childers, and the two of them
develop a bond, with Ed acting as something of a mentor to Jim. After Jim
sees the aftermath of Ed committing murder, he is not sure what to do. If
he reports Ed to the police, then he is betraying someone who he considers
a friend, and also his first Broadway production will fall apart and become
wrapped up in suspicion. Ed, as well as others, begin to convince Jim that
Ed's extreme methods are in fact helpful to his acting abilities. This
comes from praise from Ed, the Stage Manager, and a Critic following his
intense training with Ed and the murder. Additionally, Jim begins to be
convinced that he and Ed are extremely similar, and that it may be also
necessary for him to commit murder. Ed eventually puts an ultimatum: kill
someone or stop training and essentially lose Ed's friendship. Jim is
distraught but he ends up deciding not to go through with it. Ed is
arrested, and eventually there is a trial. Jim is worried that Ed will name
him as an accomplice, but Ed decides not to testify because Ed still
believes that Jim will follow in his footsteps and create truly great art.
Jim is very much a submissive person, especially when talking with Ed.
While Ed is extremely self-confident, even to the point of arrogance, Jim
is much more passive and less sure of himself. He latches onto Ed's
confidence and uses it as his own in a way. However, despite not initially
turning in Ed, Jim is overall a very good person. He is kind and
respectful, and his lack of self-confidence comes from his general
humbleness.

Requirements: The play is Jim's first Broadway show, so we are looking for
an actor aged between 20 and 29. A background in Shakespeare would be
extremely helpful but it is not completely necessary. This is a complex
role that should be very interesting to play.

We have scheduled to begin filming on August 15th, which is a Saturday.
This is short notice of course but this is a sudden opening in our cast. If
you are interested in the role, please contact us at this email (
theravenhimselfmovie at gmail.com) and we will get you a copy of the script,
as well as discuss details.

Sincerely,
James Blanchfield