[Capdist-auditions] Smokey Joe's Cafe Auditions at SLOC

Kimberly R kimberly1011 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 16:51:06 EST 2015

THIS WEEK!  SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE AUDITION at SLOC!!

Schenectady Light Opera Company will hold auditions
for SMOKEY JOE’S CAFE: The Songs of Leiber and Stoller on Monday, January 12th,
Tuesday, January 13th and Wednesday January 14th.
Callbacks will be held on Wednesday January 14th. You MUST be 16 years of age or
older to audition. Audition schedule as
follows:

Monday, January 12, 2015

Sign in: 6:30pm

Auditions: 7pm-9pm

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Sign in: 6:30pm

Auditions: 7pm-9pm

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Sign in 6:30pm

Auditions: 7pm-8pm

Callbacks: 8:15pm

Smokey Joe’s Café, is a musical revue celebrating
the groundbreaking works of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. If you don't know the names Jerry
Leiber and Mike Stoller, you certainly know their songs -- Leiber and Stoller
were one of the first great songwriting teams of the rock & roll era,
writing hit songs for the Coasters, the Drifters, Elvis Presley, Dion, Ben E.
King, and many, many more. The show
includes over 30 hits such as “Kansas City,” “On Broadway,” “Fools Fall in
Love,” “Jailhouse Rock,” “Stand by Me,” "Yakety Yak," and
many more.

Director/Choreographer, Jahmere Holland, and Music
Director, Brandon Jones, seek 9 strong performers (4 women, 5 men) of ALL
ethnicities. All performers must be comfortable singing in the pop, rock,
blues, and gospel genres, and be able to hold tight harmonies. All performers
should be great movers with a few tracks requiring more intense dance.

Please prepare TWO 16-32 bar selections from the
pop, rock, gospel, blues, and jazz genres. One up-tempo and one ballad that
both show off your range and personality. Please try your best to refrain from
singing any musical theatre. Songs that are in the show are acceptable.

An accompanist will be provided. Please bring sheet
music in the correct key. No acapella. Dance/movement auditions will take place
at callbacks. Bring picture and resume if available but not mandatory.

Rehearsals will begin January 19th and will be
mostly every Monday, Wednesday, Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons. Not
everyone will be called at each rehearsal.

Performance dates: March 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 29, 2015

Please be prepared to list all known conflicts at
the auditions. If you have any questions, please e-mail Director, Jahmere
Holland. Jahmereh at gmail.com

CHARACTER BREAKDOWN:

WOMEN:

Woman 1 (B.J)- Loud and infectious. Great comedic
timing with palpable vulnerability. Huge soprano gospel/blues belt and mix.
Sings “Fools Fall in Love,” “Saved,” “Hound Dog,” and more.

Woman 2 (DeLee)- Young and innocent but with a wild
streak. The shimmy girl. Must be a strong dancer. High pop/rock belt and mix.
Sings “Falling,” “Trouble,” “I’m a Woman,” and more.

Woman 3 (Patti)- The voice of experience. Mature
and grounded. Strong rock ‘n’ roll voice. Big belt. Sings “Don’t,” “I Keep
Forgetting,” “Pearl’s a Singer,” and more.

Woman 4 (Brenda)- Savvy, sexy, and smart. Must be a
strong dancer. Smooth alto with a big belt. Sings “Don Juan,” “I’m a Woman,”
“Some Cats Know,” and more.

MEN:

Man 1 (Victor)- Comic bad boy. First tenor with
strong falsetto. Think Frankie Vallie or Earth, Wind, and Fire. Sings
“Searchin,” “Treat me Nice,” “I Who Have Nothing,” and more.

Man 2 (Adrian)- The slow one with a big heart.
Second tenor. Sings “Young Blood,” “There Goes my Baby,” “Stand by Me,” and
more. Strong dancer a plus.

Man 3 (Ken)- The smooth one. Baritone. Sings “Dance
with Me,” “Loving You,” “Spanish Harlem,” and more. Strong dancer a plus.

Man 4 (Fred)- Strong comedic timing. Loveable.
Bass. Think Barry White and Isaac Hayes. Sings “Charlie Brown,” “You’re the
Boss,” “Little Egypt,” and more.

Man 5 (Michael)- Suave. A ladies man. Evokes the
memory of Elvis. Tenor/Baritone. Sings “Ruby Baby,” “Kansas City,” “Jailhouse
Rock,” and more. Strong dancer a plus.

Venue:

Schenectady Light
Opera
Company

427 Franklin
Street
Schenectady, NY

Website http://www.Sloctheater.org

If you have any questions, please e-mail Director, Jahmere
Holland. Jahmereh at gmail.com