[Capdist-auditions] Albany Civic Theater announces auditions for 'Ain't Misbehavin'

Mon Oct 26 11:34:20 EDT 2015

 Albany Civic Theater announces AUDITIONS for the third show of its 61st Season, "Ain't Misbehavin'" music by Fats Waller, directed by Michael Mensching.
Audition Dates:  Monday, November 9 and Tuesday, November 10, 2015 Time:  Sign-ins both nights begin at 7 PM, auditions begin at 7:30 PM Place:  Albany Civic Theater, 235 Second Ave., Albany NY Show dates:  February 5-7, 12-14, 19-21, 2016 Pay-what-you-will preview: Thursday, February 4
Please be prepared to sing 32 bars from a song from the show or something comparable. A list of songs is provided at the bottom of this notice. Also, please be prepared for a brief reading and dance audition. For more information please contact the director, Michael Mensching at 518-477-2256.  Looking for 5-7 black actors (3-4 females and 2-3 males) for the area premier of this musical. You must be a great singer with ability to sing tight harmonies. Some simple dance or movement experience is preferred. One male actor with formidable dance experience is also desired.

Synopsis

The Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s and 1930s comes to life in the three-time Tony award-winning musical revue, Ain't Misbehavin'. Join our performers on a journey through the timeless music of Thomas "Fats" Waller. You'll be jumpin' and jivin' to memorable songs such as "Honeysuckle Rose", "Ain't Misbehavin'", "Black and Blue", "This Joint is Jumpin' " and "I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling." One of the most popular, well-crafted revues of all time, sometimes sassy, sometimes sultry, it has moments of devastating beauty that are simply unforgettable.

Characters

Although the original cast had five actors, we may be expanding to seven.

Charlaine - Female Lead Mezzo-Soprano
Andre - Male Lead Baritone
Ken - Male Lead Tenor
Nell - Female Lead Alto
Armelia - Female Lead Soprano

The Music

ACT ONE
"Ain't Misbehavin' " - Company
"Lookin' Good But Feelin' Bad" - Company
"T Ain't Nobody's Biz-ness If I Do" - Andre and Company
"Honeysuckle Rose" - Ken and Nell
"Squeeze Me" - Armelia
"Handful of Keys" - Company
"I've Got a Feeling I'm Falling" - Nell and Company
"How Ya Baby" - Andre, Charlaine and Company
"The Jitterbug Waltz" - Company
"The Ladies Who Sing with the Band" - Andre and Ken
"Yacht Club Swing" - Charlaine
"When the Nylons Bloom Again" - Armelia, Charlaine and Nell
"Cash for Your Trash" - Nell
"Off-Time" - Company
"The Joint is Jumpin'" - Company

ACT TWO
"Spreadin' Rhythm Around" - Company
"Lounging at the Waldorf" - Armelia, Charlaine, Ken and Nell
"The Viper's Drag" - Andre and Company
"Mean to Me" - Nell
"Your Feet's Too Big" - Ken
"That Ain't Right" - Andre, Armelia and Company
"Keepin' Out of Mischief Now" - Charlaine
"Find Out What They Like" - Armelia and Nell
"Fat and Greasy" - Andre and Ken
"Black and Blue" - Company
"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter" - Ken
"Two Sleepy People" - Armelia and Ken
"I've Got My Fingers Crossed" - Charlaine, Armelia and Ken
"I Can't Give You Anything but Love" - Andre and Charlaine
"It's a Sin To Tell a Lie" - Nell and Company
"Honeysuckle Band" - Company

  Albany Civic Theater website:  www.albanycivictheater.org   Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Albany-Civic-Theater/126862631382   Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlbanyCivic