[Capdist-auditions] Second call for Accompanists - RPI Player's "A Little Night Music"

Frank Leavitt leavitt.frank at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 11:53:52 EST 2017

This is a SECOND call for accompanist(s) for the 2018 RPI Players’
production of “A Little Night Music.” We’re looking for more than one, in
order to spread the work around and provide for the best flexibility in
scheduling during the rehearsal process. As this is a student-based
program, RPI students are particularly encouraged to apply, and will be
given first option, *assuming* they can play sufficiently well.

“A Little Night Music” was written by Stephen Sondheim, and, it should be
noted, is difficult. His harmonies are rich, with lots of non-chord tones
that don’t fit neatly into jazz harmonies, and his rhythms can be quite
complex. (Everything in “Little Night Music” is in some kind of triple
meter – but it’s not all waltzes!) Both classically trained players and
jazz musicians will find challenges, but will also find the music extremely
rewarding once it’s under your fingers.

There are some specific skills necessary to accompany singers who are
learning parts, in addition to being able to play the dance numbers, and
the songs. It’s the Music Director’s job to help you develop those skills –
don’t hesitate to ask for more information!

Accompanist audition pieces from the show will be provided when we arrange
for your audition. If it will help quiet your nerves (it often does) and
get you warmed up, you should feel free to prepare something else -
however, it is not necessary.

Auditions for the *show* have been pushed back from their original dates,
and are anticipated to happen in the week of January 21st or 28th. Your
attendance, especially if you sight read pretty well and can accompany
nervous singers, is both welcome and encouraged! (And you’ll get paid!)

Rehearsals have generally been two-three nights and one weekend
(day/evening/night) each week, but the division of labor (especially if we
have more than one accompanist) means that nobody will have to be at all of
those, every week. As we get closer to the show, of course, that will
change a little.

The show dates (including anticipated tech week and brush-up) are 4/15-22,
and 4/25-28.

We anticipate a full pit – it is my expectation (and hope) that an RPI
student (someone who had been playing rehearsals) would be playing the
Piano/Celeste book for the shows. There is no synth, though there is a harp
book – we anticipate having an actual harpist, but in case we can’t find
one, a synth player would probably be needed.

For more information, or to schedule an audition, please contact the Music
Director, Frank Leavitt, at:

518-915-5890 (text or voice)

leavitt.frank at gmail.com

*To practice any art,*