[Capdist-auditions] Casting Call for WWII Play Reading in Troy, NY

Lydia Nightingale lnightingale5 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:26:16 EST 2017

Hello,

Please post the following reading casting announcement. Thank you!

*Lydia Nightingale*
lydiajnightingale.com

__________________

*“You’re young and good-looking. It’ll happen. Wherever they’re around
these days, it’ll happen. It’s better that you get used to it now.”*

*Calling all Capital Region actors available in April *

*that have an interest in dark period drama!*

My name is Lydia Nightingale; I am an actress, model, playwright, and
public historian from Clifton Park, NY. Please see the end of the email for
a more extensive bio.

I am putting together a public reading of my WWII-era play *Tinted Red,* to
be performed on April 29th in the evening on the Russell Sage College
campus in the James Meader Little Theater in Troy, NY. The story follows a
young German woman named Adele who is captured by the Red Army in 1945 and
interned in a labor camp. There, she suffers through myriad abuses and sees
several fellow prisoners lose their lives before finally escaping back to
Germany, to join a traumatized generation of mostly invisible survivors.

This will be the Capital District premiere for the piece, which played as a
staged reading at SUNY New Paltz in 2011 and placed as a Finalist for the
Woman and Theatre Program's National Jane Chambers Award in 2016.*Tinted
Red*’s sequel *Adele in Berlin* played to a city audience in Harlem, NY in
the summer of 2015. Seehttps://lydiajnightingale.com/media/playwriting/ for
photos.

Again, the reading is planned for April 29th at probably 7 or 8 PM. There
will be a rehearsal earlier that week or the week before, and probably a
long one earlier that day before the performance. Dinner or lunch will be
provided that day, depending on the time slot we decide on.* I will not be
charging admission, but I will be passing the hat for donations to a local
battered women’s shelter.*

Please see below for the character breakdown. I am looking for FOUR MEN and
THREE WOMEN; all roles are available at this time. Do not let the specified
ages discourage you from reaching out; I am very open to casting a variety
of ages and ethnicities for this reading. *If you are interested, please
send a resume and headshot to: lnightingale5 at gmail.com
<lnightingale5 at gmail.com>, and I will set up a time with you to meet and
look at the script. I can also send a plot synopsis, if you would like to
see it before making an appointment. *Thank you so much!

*–Lydia Nightingale*

*Characters*: Three women and four men. One of the women and four of the
men play multiple roles.

*Adel*e: Female, 20 (also portrays herself as a child). A German Army nurse
captured by the Russians in 1945. Petite, attractive, the mirror image of
Nikolai’s wife Natasha; at first an unwitting, then later an unrelenting
survivor.

*Olga*: Female, 19. Adele’s cousin and fellow captured Army nurse. Slight
and emotional; clings to both Adele and their childhood memories in the
midst of horror.

*Hans/Tony*: Both male and played by the same actor. Hans, 21 (also
portrays himself as a child), is Adele’s friend and a German soldier.
Boyish, conflicted; must ultimately choose between Adele and the Nazi
agenda. Tony, 20, is a friendly American soldier with a persona reminiscent
of Hans.

*Second Russian Soldier/Nikolai*: Both male and played by the same actor.
The Second Russian Soldier captures Adele and Olga at the start of the
play. Nikolai, 29, is a Russian camp official and former Red Army officer.
Virile but faded, like a recruitment poster lying in the mud; bitter and
reckless after losing all he valued.

*Nurse/Hilde/Klara*: All female and played by the same actor. The Nurse is
assaulted and shot by the First Russian Soldier at the start of the play,
offstage. Klara, late 40s, is Adele's mother; appears as a figment of
Adele's dreams. Hilde, 24, is a German woman captured further east by the
Russians. Young but imposing; hardened after a long imprisonment.

*Doktor Zeitler/Yuri*: Both male and played by the same actor. Doktor
Zeitler, late 30s, is a German doctor in the Army hospital. Yuri, 30, is a
Russian camp official and former Red Army soldier, as well as Nikolai's
older brother and his superior in the camp system. A taller, sharper
version of Nikolai; harsh, brutal, and just as desperate as his brother.

*First Russian Soldier/Petr (Levkin)/Frederick/Johnny*: All male and played
by the same actor. The First Russian Soldier captures Adele and Olga at the
start of the play. Petr, 20, is a Russian prison guard who was once a
prisoner himself; nervous and submissive, but with a capacity for kindness.
Frederick, early 20s, is a German soldier; appears as a figment of Adele's
dreams. Johnny, 21, is an American soldier with a rough war behind him and
little sympathy for Germans.

I am an actress, model, playwright, and public historian presently living
in Clifton Park, NY. I have performed in shows all over and beyond the
Capital District, from Albany and Latham to New Paltz and Rhinebeck. I most
recently modeled in Saratoga, NY. My plays have been presented in Albany,
New Paltz, and most recently in New York City. I am currently working as an
Administrative Assistant for the Theatre Institute at Sage in Troy and
studying Public History at the University at Albany, with aspirations to
someday helm a museum or interactive historical site. My mission as an
artist-historian is to produce engaging and instructive pieces that expose
audiences to diverse perspectives in history, particularly those of women.