[Capdist-auditions] Call for Submissions

Jj Buechner localactorsguild at gmail.com
Wed May 3 09:57:15 EDT 2017

Second Annual New Play Festival
Call for Entries
The Local Actors Guild of Saratoga is proud to announce their 2nd Annual New Play Festival. We will be choosing two plays from local playwrights for our October Festival (Oct 20, 21, 22, 27, 28 & 29) at the Saratoga Arts Center. Your play will have two showings over two weekends.
Submissions due by July 1st 2017!
The Local Actors Guild of Saratoga is committed to supporting emerging and regional playwrights by developing and producing new plays. Through our Play Festival script competition, The Local Actors Guild of Saratoga offers developmental opportunities to two (or possibly three) local playwrights. We provide playwrights with an encouraging and focused environment in which they can develop their work.
The Local Actors Guild of Saratoga’s productions offer playwrights the chance to see their work fully realized on stage. We hope, however, that the plays developed at The Local Actors Guild of Saratoga will go on to subsequent productions throughout the country. Because of this, playwrights whose scripts we produce retain the coveted “World Premiere” brand on their plays.
We are searching for commercially viable comedies and dramas with innovative storytelling that deal with important social issues. We accept only previously unproduced 2 act comedies and dramas with a running time of one hour and thirty minutes to two hours. At this time we do not accept musicals, one acts or plays for youth. Plays that can be effectively cast within our market will be considered favorably.
 Please include a cover letter with the following information:
- A brief bio (please be assured that past professional experience is not required)
- Full contact information, including phone number and email address.
The Local Actors Guild of Saratoga will provide playwrights with the highest quality actors and directors. If a playwright has a specific director in mind for their production a resume must be submitted with your submission.
Playwrights are encouraged to submit plays that require minimal technical elements and minimal set pieces.
There is no submission fee.
Plays will be read by a panel of actors & playwrights. However, the following will be rejected:
1. Screenplays or teleplays submitted as theatrical plays
2. Obvious first drafts
3. Plays with typos and spelling errors
4. Plays that require costly design elements
If you are wondering if your play is a good match for The Local Actors Guild of Saratoga or if you have any questions about the festival, please do not hesitate to send an inquiry to localactorsguild at gmail.com
Scripts must meet the following criteria:
- Script legibly typed in a standard 8½" x 11" play format margins: 1.5" left, 1" right, top and bottom page numbers in upper right corner 12 point font, either Courier New or Times New Roman
- Brief synopsis of play (200 word maximum) and cast list with character breakdown and the complete casting requirements (limited to 8 actors). Plays that utilize double (or triple or quadruple…) casting should use this technique for a dramaturgical reason. Double casting should not be an attempt to make a play with a large cast fit the guidelines.
- Script (please indicate “Fin” or “End” on the last page)
- Via e-mail: PDF of script – localactorsguild at gmail.com
- Hard copy of script (1 copy), synopsis & character breakdown need to be mailed to:

The Local Actors Guild of Saratoga
8 Steeple Chase West
Grand Ave
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866